Electric Power

I think you need to do some maths with the efficiency rating of you panels Too-tall. What they are saying is we get more than the rated current from panels here in NZ. I got that information from the AASolar website, who by the way, have some nice looking thin flexible solar panels on trademe.

No, I don't.

There is approximately 1000 - 1250 joules per second of energy available to harvest ( ie - energy from the sun ) hitting the ground per m2 at peak intensity. In my experience, if your lucky, you might be able to harvest 10% of this energy under ideal conditions ( Harvest meaning that its actually available to use at your discretion, not direct from the panel ). You have indicated that you have been harvesting 10 times what I have, so I would like to know what sort of panels your using, because that could really change how I set things up with regard for off grid energy. I can easily consume 100Kw for extended periods here, and getting more via solar would be nice.

I'm only stating the specs on the available panels that I've been looking at. I do understand its a lot less in practical application, probably down around one quarter of the panels rating. Some of these flexible , thin panels are rating at 22% so improving. They can also be zippered onto structures which means they can be used in more vulnerable places aboard and taken below in bad weather.

Photons :D Watts :lol: Yes that's pretty much what I was trying to get across.

Photons sounds Star Trek like so I'll take those Thank you Bbay :thumbup:

I think you have read Baby wrong To tall. He's talking about what's hitting the panels where you are talking about what you are getting out of them, which as you point out will be a lot less due to panel inefficiencies and other loses.

Light is both Electromagnetic Energy and Particle. (The Speed of light is the point where Matter becomes Energy) The particle is called a Photon, but it has almost no Mass, so it exerts very little energy itself. Although there is some and it is measurable. But the Electromagnetic Energy is quite powerful and it is comprised of frequencies from invisible Infra Red (which gives us the Heat we feel from the Sun) through all colours of visible light, and into invisible Ultraviolet (which is what causes Sunburn). There are also Xray and Gamma ray above all that, but it is really dangerous and thankfully our atmosphere shields us from it.

The Energy is measured in Watts. and that is what we see as the figure of energy per square metre.

So far most available panels work in the visible light spectrum, but there are panels now that can work in slightly extended visible, or into near bands of IR and up into near bands of UV. These panels can still generate well on cloudy days.

Archived