One Ton Cup revisited

tuffyluffy

From the Scuttlebutteurope today.

One Ton Cup Revisited

Chris Bouzaid and the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron are seeking an indication of potential interest in a proposed "One Ton Cup Revisited" regatta, in Auckland, New Zealand, in February/March 2015.

The regatta would celebrate the (near) 50th anniversary of the One Ton Cup switching from metre class yachts to offshore racers, using an international rule (RORC) to measure and rate contestants. This was when interest in the Cup went global and led to One Tonners being regarded as the Formula One class of ocean racing.

The current thinking is to cater for RORC and IOR One Tonners that were eligible for Cup competition between (and including) the years 1965 to 1983.

The IRC Rating Rule would be used to equitably handicap the fleet which would be raced in two classes - RORC and IOR yachts 1965 to 1971 (inclusive), and IOR yachts 1971 to 1983 (inclusive).

The current proposal for the "Revisited" regatta would be to mirror the One Ton Cup of old - ie there would be three inshore races, a short ocean race and an ocean race-proper. In deference to contestants and boats, however, the inshore races would be of approximately 20 miles length, while the short ocean race would be a 40-miler (approx) and the ocean race a 100-miler (approx).

The Finn Gold Cup will be raced off Takapuna Beach in February, 2015, while the Volvo Ocean Race fleet is scheduled to arrive in Auckland (from China) on or about around 26 February, 2015, and leave for Itajai, in Brazil, on 15 March, 2015.

The proposed "One Ton Cup Revisited" would be an important and integral part of this major celebration of sail.

Could those interested in the above please communicate, by email, that interest, with brief detail of the One Tonner that might/would be involved, to:

Alan Sefton: alansefton@xtra.co.nz

What a cool idea.

Hopefully they will have a IOR 27.5 division and a IOR 30.5 division. My trainspotting tendencies - and I thought I'd get in before Richard B!

We'd come up from wellington for this regatta. Be a great chance for the old greyhounds to get a look in round this carbon canting foiling business!

good luck ... you will have to get the old girl up here first :lol: :clap:

Plenty of time to prepare and pick our weather window. The old girl knows the way quite well too.Wonder if Loin nz and Steinlarger 2 are ior boats and if they would be eligible to enter?

IM surprised Richard hasnt visited the thread seeing that he the IOR man. Even someone like me who doesnt know much about IOR except for what Richard writes about is keen to see this event happen.

Archived