Spencers, and the mad buggers who still sail them

So.. I've recently met a couple of different people who have bought and cleaned up one of these old plywood skegs, much as I've done.

And then there was the line honors in the end of year rumble on Friday...

And trying to find information that is largely kept in peoples' heads and fading away with time is troubling, despite everybody seeming to have a story about John, his boats, his yard and having once owned a stiletto...

And I have a love-hate relationship with my own which appears the norm. (They sail slowly on their sides) except that one time on the perfect reach or that other occasion flying downwind...

Aaaaaaanyway.

Is there any interest in a Spencer Owners something a-rather? All you renegades with your plywood coffins?

Peter Tait would be worht talking to.

Mine goes upwind like a 45 fter and downwind like a 70 fter. I love sailing past boats that are still motoring , and a couple of days ago I was hitting double digits single handed leaving BoI. Every time I go out I like it more.

Peter Tait would be worht talking to.

Mine goes upwind like a 45 fter and downwind like a 70 fter. I love sailing past boats that are still motoring , and a couple of days ago I was hitting double digits single handed leaving BoI. Every time I go out I like it more.

Yeah, but let's be honest, your's is kinda special :-)

Love 'San Fran'... Spencer 32. BUT.... the missus said that I should be getting something bigger. Im knot willing to part with her just yet, (unless she tells me I cant get another boat!). :lol:

I now what you mean about updating them thou. New fridge, heads, rig, pumps etc...

Not sure about any owners group, but I located plans on line.

Love 'San Fran'... Spencer 32. BUT.... the missus said that I should be getting something bigger. Im knot willing to part with her just yet, (unless she tells me I cant get another boat!). :lol:

Boats aren't jealous...

I now what you mean about updating them thou. New fridge, heads, rig, pumps etc...

Yeah, bit by bit, I'm still not sure about the head...

Plans? hmmmm, the ones on the wooden boat owners asoc. or another source?

Spied this nice Stiletto out on Thursday last. Also saw a green Spencer (not sure whether a Stiletto or a Serendipity) that looked in good nick in the mooring area at Shoal Bay. There were a couple of Stiletto's in Panmure C division back in the early 70s. We used to race against them in our old Tasman 20 fin-keeler (wonder where that is now). Could do them in the light because they were relatively under-canvassed, but down wind they used to fly and were quicker than a lot of bigger boats at that time.

This is worth a look if you haven't seen it...

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/the-hum-1974

stiletto.jpg

Plans? hmmmm, the ones on the wooden boat owners asoc. or another source?

Yes, it was some forum from North America possibly Canada. Ive tried to attach them hereto.... holding my breath!

Only 12 Spencers are logged on Racetrack..... so where are all you others then?

Designer display

Designer : Spencer, John

# rated boats : 12

Boat Rankings - Ranking order

Ranking Boat name Rating # races Last raced Design

1 McLeod 0.7834 54 11-Dec-2013 Spencer 43

2 John Barleycorn 0.7206 6 07-Sep-2013 Spencer 32

3 Lynx 0.7020 53 11-Dec-2013 Spencer Seraband

4 Sirrah 0.6984 44 17-Dec-2013 Spencer 11

5 Hey Jude 0.6882 7 26-May-2013 Spencer, John

6 Pamaro 0.6849 15 22-Sep-2013 Spencer, John

7 Playdoh 0.6361 38 11-Dec-2013 Spencer 32

8 Aquanimity 0.6351 47 03-Dec-2013 Spencer 32

9 San Fran 0.6276 43 20-Dec-2013 Spencer 32

10 Rhiannon 0.6023 12 11-Dec-2013 Spencer 45

11 Odette 0.5323 22 26-Mar-2013 Spencer 30

12 Truce II 0.4996 20 13-Nov-2013 Spencer, John

Is it possible that there are only 12 Spencer boats racing in NZ?

Not too many racing regularly but if you change the selection box for 'ranking type' from RaceTrack to 'Full History' you'll see a good few more than don't race as much.

love my spencer 33 "SAMAKAND". just got back from 12 days away on her, am interested in a spencer owners something.

Yup, saw you out there between Waiheke and Motuihe - you had your spinnaker up, I was the mad bugger yelling profanities about the rum race heading in the other direction :D

Only 12 Spencers are logged on Racetrack..... so where are all you others then?

SanFran - you're representing us very well - my boat isn't even on the full history list :oops:

Interesting to note that the list is dominated by larger boats (if I had the money I'd happily sail away in Rhiannon) and let's be honest - the Serendipitys were never that fast (did see 9.5 knots heading over to Waiheke the other day though) Also I see these old tubs are still popular and being raced regularly down in the sounds.

Ok, so.. some interest in an owners something then.. How do we go about setting such a thing up - anyone know?

I had a modified Serendipity in the early 80's. Had it on the stop cable drive VDO log at 15 knots broad reach #1 and full main in 30 knots plus.

Very pretty.

I only have an old, 'light' #1 which would tear in anything above 15 knots - bloody great sail in light airs though - I've seen 4 knots in 4.5 knots breeze.

Lidgards made me a heavy #2 and main a couple of years back (really nice sails) the #2 rolls down to a 3 which was handy on the trip back with 34 blowing past Bean (I had kids and a non-sailor aboard)

And a black Spencer schooner just took line honours in the Tall ship and Classics race in Russell by about 13 mins :D :D :D

What about a BBQ and quiet drink when every one is back from the Xmas cruise?