Spencers, and the mad buggers who still sail them

And a black Spencer schooner just took line honours in the Tall ship and Classics race in Russell by about 13 mins :D :D :D

Shiiiiiiit! - Well done! :D :D

What about a BBQ and quiet drink when every one is back from the Xmas cruise?

Sounds great, for us Aucklanders at any rate.

BBQ on said big black jungle cat? :lol:

And a black Spencer schooner just took line honours in the Tall ship and Classics race in Russell by about 13 mins :D :D :D

What about a BBQ and quiet drink when every one is back from the Xmas cruise?

Awesome :thumbup:

We missed you rigger.

I was thinking BBQ ashore somewhere. Any association would be pretty loose as they are mostly cruisers not racers these days. May be a BBQ - a raft up once a year to look at boats and swap lies, and some form of newsletter?

I was thinking BBQ ashore somewhere.

I was being cheeky :D

i would keen on this, have a saraband 34. there are 3 spencers on g pier where i keep mine

Flyers on other people's boats... hmm, where they won't get wet and then become paper mache.

I have fond memories from my teenage years of a Saraband my dad bought. It was called Mercedes. It was built with top sides 4" higher and the cabin top 4" lower than the original design. This was to stop them looking like a lollipop. They didn't go well to windward and I remember this frustrating my dad as in those days if you raced in the squadron, which we did, the Sarabands raced against the Townson 32's. Most days the fleet was split in two; all the T32's at the front then the 5 Sarabands racing their own race at the rear of the fleet. Except once a year when there was a reaching race to the bottom end of Waiheke. The Sarabands would take the first 5 places on line and handicap.

The one modification that we did was to move the side stays inwards. Originally they were mounted on the gunwhale with external bolt through chainplates. We had some flash ss chain plates made up and I recall dad being pleased with the result. It didn't help us against the T32's but helped us in our battles against the likes of Rasputin, Samarkand, Sheoke II. Rasputin had even higher topsides which had been made 6" higher than the original design, and she had a short cabin as well. I think she is still around today and may be up at Gulf Harbour.

We Spencer owners always felt like poor cousins to the T32 owners. I recall a new yacht turning up and it looked different to anything we had seen before. It was called Mountain or Morning Dew or something like that and it was designed by a young guy called Bruce Farr. I recall a crusty old T32 owner assuring his mates that it wouldn't amount to much. Needless to say it whipped their arses on any point of sail in any conditions except blowing a gale on the wind. The T32 guys were not happy. The Saraband guys were ecstatic! It made no difference to us but we were glad of something to knock the T32's of their perch.

Ours had a Ford 10 side valve petrol engine in it with no reverse. It motored well and you certainly learned quickly when it came to drifting in to tie up. We kept it at Okahu Bay near the breakwater and it was my job to row us out there. I didn't know myself when dad bought a 2 1/2 hp Seagull for the plywood dinghy.

The Saraband was a big bang for the buck back then. We sold ours in the mid 70's for $16K.

hey AA it was Moonshine was red like a fire engine .... i drank to many gins with spencer even owned his first 1 mt model yacht " merry hell" that took a few drinks to secure the deal :roll:

Moonshine eh - it could well have been that. We'd never seen underwater bow sections like that before. Yep John SPencer put crap loads of people into boats who would otherwise never have been able to do it. And that Bruce Farr chappie forever changed boat design. Yep... Alot of good yottin things happened here in NZ. (And still do) :thumbup:

Ok, don't want to let this one die juuuusst yet. I've been busy moving house and such like however I'm now keen to make something happen.

BBQ sounds great - where? A beach? Someone want to host? (I have a tiny backyard that's full of toy cat and motorcycle crap...)

Who's interested?

Hi there, I've just bought an old Spencer '38' called 'Salient'! She's been let go a bit though and needs some serious TLC! I believe she was built in 1970 by J.Johnson(?) I had her out at Gulf Harbour for a week to give the bum a good de-bug and a quick coat of antifoul and I'm slowly going through all the other necessary jobs as time and money allow. I will be taking her out for an extended period over the Winter to attack some long term and in depth jobs such as new rudder (old one holed) and replacement sounder, log, etc. My question(s) are: Does anyone have any history or photos, information, anything really on her or the Spencer '38' in general, and most importantly, are there any plans etc for hull and/or sail plan? She's a good dry boat (except the windows!) and I think I've caught her in time. But would love to get in touch with like minded and saddled persons with Spencers for any advice, social events, etc!

20150214_154918.jpg

20150312_085519.jpg

Owned for years by Trevor Cowbray ? spelling, who sold it to the owner you bought it off (Dan Davies?). Trevor was the custodian of Okahu Bay hardstand for many years and before that was a mooring contractor on the Auckland Harbour. Not to sure if Trevor is still alive as would be fairly ancient now and did successfully battle with cancer. A real hard case and character.

Welcome aboard Bubblehead, congrats on the new boat! IMO Spencers are still cool!

If you are coming out for a while, might be worth looking at Weiti - cheaper lift and hardstand.

If you are around Gulf Harbour, come say hello!

The number one thing I learnt about Spencers':

They go slow everywhere until you learn their sweet spot and then they go fast.  I had my 28' full for the summer cruise doing 9 knots - we had to stop and pull the wee inflatable on board because it was submarining and I was worried it would tear apart, then we went faster!  

My recollection of the 38 was to swap out the rudder for a long spade without the skeg, swap out the Spencer can opener keel for a more hydrfoiled shape (not the sharp front edge) oh, and swap the rig for something bigger and fractional  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

BP, I think I saw you drying sails on Tuesday, about 1300 or so. Or were you sailing off the mooring?

We're up and about the BOI at the mo. Might see if we can drop by if you're around.

R

Salient was Trevor Coubray's boat as Biggy says. What a salt of the earth bugger he was, both when he ran the moorings barge ( he put my mooring down in Hobson bay)and when he then ran the haulout for all those years at Okahu. I hauled 20 years ,every year there.From Ken and Dave , to Trevor,Graeme and Sandy , to big John.

She looks pretty good apart from the obvious growth from lack of use , I hope you have a great run from her. You could probably join the CYA, I think she's old enough.