Spencers, and the mad buggers who still sail them

Anyone looking for a good tidy Spencer would do well to consider Lynx in Tauranga. The owner has purchased another boat and is a realistic seller, it has had plenty of care and attention and has a proven race history. New Yanmar about 3 years ago too I think.

He wrote for Boating NZ for years.  I used to have a big pile of the mags with his articles in them lying around somewhere, not sure where since moving house though...

Lynx is a mighty impressing boat.  

As the current owner of Lynx for the last 18 years I can confirm I have decided to let someone else have the opportunity to enjoy her as much as I have.  Lynx is a modified Seraband, she has an extended rig modified keel and rudder, has also been extended to 35ft. Overall she is in top condition with a recent repaint and good gear. As I am currently the owner of 2 boats I will be selling her at a bargain price. Keep an eye on Trade Me.

The new Sagitta is sailing around South America at the moment. Simon Willis built her about 5 years ago. 40ft I think. He is a guy you lot should talk to. He had the original Sagitta which was 35ft. Went off shore racing several times including a Hobart where apparently they spent more time under water than on top. Survived being crushed between two boats at the start line and carried out a repair by banging in a few nails around the chain plate area. She was sold to a guy in Russell.

He was hit by a ship last year when sailing single handed from Auckland to Kerikeri in the new version.Both boats well built.!!

He is likely to take part in the Vava'u race in 2017.

So.. I've recently met a couple of different people who have bought and cleaned up one of these old plywood skegs, much as I've done.

And then there was the line honors in the end of year rumble on Friday...

And trying to find information that is largely kept in peoples' heads and fading away with time is troubling, despite everybody seeming to have a story about John, his boats, his yard and having once owned a stiletto...

And I have a love-hate relationship with my own which appears the norm. (They sail slowly on their sides) except that one time on the perfect reach or that other occasion flying downwind...

Aaaaaaanyway.

Is there any interest in a Spencer Owners something a-rather? All you renegades with your plywood coffins?

Hi guys love the topic,I to have a spencer Sirius great fun lots of heel but lots of speed.love the old girl but have done lots of work .i would be keen to join any owners group.also the clip Hun is a great look

Does anyone know anything about the sabre design? Typical Spencer in appearance, I'm curious about the performance mostly. And the upwind ability if we get caught out in the gulf somewhere.

Cheers all.