160 articles on Boats, Yachts, Buying, Owning, Maintaining

sealegs

Shhhh!!! if more people get to know about this site, the less knowledgeable I will sound :wink:

Arrr yes, you have stumbled upon one of the "gold mines" of boat info. I have had a link to this site for many years. It's a great read and full of really good information gained from pure "at the coal face" experience.

Shhhh!!! if more people get to know about this site, the less knowledgeable I will sound :wink:

Arrr yes, you have stumbled upon one of the "gold mines" of boat info. I have had a link to this site for many years. It's a great read and full of really good information gained from pure "at the coal face" experience.

hehehe wheels.. :lol: Its really funny that you say that. All the while I was reading this I was thinking..." it reads just like wheels's informative technical comments :o "

No worries Wheels, regardless of the bounty of info revealed, your input will always be highly sought after here I reckon. Just because we can read it now does not mean we will always comprehend what has been read. It is good to have a knowledgeable expert like yourself & IT plus others available to discuss these topics in an open forum for the benefit of all. :D

Occasionally we each come up with unique problems not covered in the link so there experts like yourself are very very valuable.

:idea: As an example of an individual problem,.... with 1 male (me ) & 5 females :roll: on board our H28, my 60ltr fresh water supply gets used up in no time with all the camp solar heated showers ( limited because of the small volume of water held in the solar bag etc). So I'm trying to figure how I can pump seawater using a low volume pump, send it thru thru a heating mechanism (without plumbing the engine cooling system if possible ) to a portable shower. The 12V electric pump is available,the shower mechanism is available, (the saltwater soap/shower gel is available pricey though at $29 ) but....

The heating mechanism without using the engine is the problem because it has to be portable. The only available space on the boat for a shower is the cockpit using the boom tent for some privacy so what ever system I come up with must be stowed away when sailing. Im sure you may have some thoughts on this ? what's practical what's not? :think:

:idea: A thought ( solution) just came to mind as Im typing this.

I might have to fill 3 x 20ltr plastic containers with seawater everyday and leave it on deck in the sun to heat up a tad for shower use. :think: .....hmmm yeah that seems to be the most practical method at this stage. perhaps paint the containers black as well?

Try black 20l oil containers, cleaned out of course & don't forget to insulate them from the deck especially if it is metal, you would be surprised how slowly they heat up & how quickly the little heat they gather, dissapears if you don't. Or just fill your solar showers with salt water in the first place and use a couple of litres of fresh to rinse off with.

Yeah I am with Steve on the solar showers using salt water. They stow easily when empty. If you use 20ltr oil containers, you may as well fill them with Fresh water, but thats weight and they are a pain to stow when you don't need them.

Or....here's an idea. So you connect the little saltwater pump to a length of hose that can reach to your cooker. Take a length of copper pipe the diameter of the hose and wind it in a circle several times, being the same diameter as a Gas Ring. Place that on the gas ring and connect hose to it, with a further length of hose to your shower head. Light gas and the water heats as it flows through.

you are being far too generous at 20 litres a day, use 3 litre juice bottles with fresh water , in summer they will heat up in the sun or heat some of the water in the kettle, and they are easy to use carry and stow. 3 litres is heaps for an allover wash with a flannel or sponge , if you you stand in 1 of those big soft flexi tubs you can wash inside without much mess to clean up, however I have little hair at least on my head , my wife says she needs 6 litres to wash and wash and rinse her hair properly.

Or just fill your solar showers with salt water in the first place and use a couple of litres of fresh to rinse off with.

I only have 1 solar shower onboard which is obviously too few hence problem.

Or....here's an idea. So you connect the little saltwater pump to a length of hose that can reach to your cooker. Take a length of copper pipe the diameter of the hose and wind it in a circle several times, being the same diameter as a Gas Ring. Place that on the gas ring and connect hose to it, with a further length of hose to your shower head. Light gas and the water heats as it flows through.

yep I like that idea wheels. This would be similar to a califont & it will provide instant heat when required. I need to design a suitable structure to support the coil and fit safely & securely onto the kerosene stove and be easily removed.( kerosene is cheaper to run than portable gas canisters )

It would have to look a whole lot more flash than the one in the pic I found online or the quality control dept (the missus :oops: ) will never allow it onboard.

you are being far too generous at 20 litres a day, use 3 litre juice bottles with fresh water , in summer they will heat up in the sun or heat some of the water in the kettle, and they are easy to use carry and stow. 3 litres is heaps for an allover wash with a flannel or sponge , if you you stand in 1 of those big soft flexi tubs you can wash inside without much mess to clean up, however I have little hair at least on my head , my wife says she needs 6 litres to wash and wash and rinse her hair properly.

my wife says she needs 6 litres to wash and wash and rinse her hair properly

Ok thats a fair amount of water for a woman to feel satisfied however I have 5 women on board so that means I need 30ltr per wash cycle. With this lot it means 30ltrs per day If I limit them to only 1 six ltr wash per day.

I could be looking at a mutiny here but I'll give it a go or threaten them with loading and sorting out their own warm water!........... and :shh: I wont tell them I have 60ltrs available (3x 20ltr drums) leaving me a reserve for my use as well cause being female they NEVER follow my directions most of the time :D

water heated using coiled copper tubing.jpg

Someone has beaten me to my idea. Except I was erring on the not so serious side. A bit of a worry to see someone has actually done that. Then again, not sure I should be so surprised anymore. To be fair, that's slightly tidier than I expected to see. Not sure how you would improve on that.

still they won,t need to wash their hair everyday so average of 4 litres a day each will/should be plenty and you will be able to get water ashore at a few places particularly if it does not have to be drinking water quality. We will have the same problem on our boat next week with 3 women on board, and will top up a few containers if we are at Oneroa for example. My daughter has long hair and puts it in a tight plait when on the boat, seems it saves a lot of hassles, good luck! :thumbup:

Archived