RNI 2014

MOTORBOAT

Hi

I'm filling in for Matt here.

You will notice posts discussing the withdrawal and subsequent protest by Lawless have been deleted. This is at the request of the organisers. The reason they asked was that the protest will not be heard for up to three weeks as principals and protest committee are sailing around some island, and they didn't want the discussion to escalate in the interim.

When they are back and the protest is heard we will have the result and discussion will be reopened. In the meantime please respect their request to leave the topic alone till the facts can be looked at and assessed.

Now back to my other persona.

Yellow brick have lost the plot,

Paid the money for the Android app and it is Crap with a capital C.

Shame.

Is there another method? Maybe a desktop site?

Have to admit I've been underwhelmed by the yellow brick trackers. The hourly updates are too coarse to give you a sense of what's going on in the race (which is the whole point of having trackers in the first place). It's a pity because it looked like a really close and exciting first leg.

Have to admit I've been underwhelmed by the yellow brick trackers. The hourly updates are too coarse to give you a sense of what's going on in the race (which is the whole point of having trackers in the first place). It's a pity because it looked like a really close and exciting first leg.

Ok then, let's just go back to the twice daily updates like the last RNI

Let's face it, people won't be happy until they see the boat moving across their computer screens.

Let's face it, people won't be happy until they see the boat moving across their computer screens.

Way to take a little criticism there Zen .... Straight to heart and into spit the dummy mode.

totally agree.

if a GPS updates every second then the tracker should do 60 second updates easily.

longer update periods give better averages but hourly is naff.

Sydney to Hobart tracker is awesome. updates well and give good "live' info.

Surely it's about balancing power use. Some of these boats are quite limited and the more data sent the drain goes up markedly.

Besides if I had the time to watch one second updates I'd be thinking about doing the race :-)

Way to take a little criticism there Zen .... Straight to heart and into spit the dummy mode.

That's a funny reaction. It's a fact, we'll always expect a little better every time.

The reason we're updating only once per hour is to preserve the batteries which are charged by a USB cable. If we think the batteries will take it in the second half of the race we'll crank them up. Might even get to constant updating on the last part of the race.

To pay full price for the trackers would double the entry fee so we're not sure what to do for 2017. Hopefully the technology will advance to a cheaper alternative.

Briefing on in ten then we're off.

Shocking excuse.

Sydney to Hobart trackers are where you guys should be at.

If your equipment is sub standard then that is your problem to fix.

The last race had the same problem and it appears there has been no change.

Disagree SailorX. Cost is a huge issue in modern offshore sailing , and it is part of what is killing the sport. SSANZ should be commended for trying to keep costs down. Sailing is a participatory sport (one of the reasons I like it), keeping spectators, all 6 of them , happy, is secondary.

To pay full price for the trackers would double the entry fee so we're not sure what to do for 2017. Hopefully the technology will advance to a cheaper alternative.

Briefing on in ten then we're off.

It seems that SSANZ are paying for the trackers as part of their marketing/take it to the masses budget.

Does the app fee being charged on mobile devices for the tracker go back to SSANZ or Yellowbrick?

Shocking excuse.

Don't be a dickhead all your life. If I was out there on my boat I'd want the absolute minimum power consumption possible as the trackers are only performance negative, there is no gain for the boat in having one, besides I, like a couple out there, can only make very minimal power. With a tracker only slowing a boat and me racing I wouldn't give a second hand rats condom whether you knew where I was or knot.

Think yourself lucky you can see where the boats are within an hours sailing distance. 2 or 3 races back that was up to 12 hours, before that it could have been days.

Shocking excuse.

Don't be a dickhead all your life. If I was out there on my boat I'd want the absolute minimum power consumption possible as the trackers are only performance negative, there is no gain for the boat in having one, besides I, like a couple out there, can only make very minimal power. With a tracker only slowing a boat and me racing I wouldn't give a second hand rats condom whether you knew where I was or knot.

Think yourself lucky you can see where the boats are within an hours sailing distance. 2 or 3 races back that was up to 12 hours, before that it could have been days.

No need to be rude Knot me. very un becoming.

This is not a power drain issue. this is an piece of equipment that is not fit for purpose.

if other can do it better then YB need to step up.

S to H was live and fast and free!

I agree the boat safety should not be compromised. But these YB guys have not got the best kit to do the job.

Other trackers do not have the same issues.

Also I do not think myself lucky when you compare these YB trackers to others which do not have the same issues.

Disagree SailorX. Cost is a huge issue in modern offshore sailing , and it is part of what is killing the sport. SSANZ should be commended for trying to keep costs down. Sailing is a participatory sport (one of the reasons I like it), keeping spectators, all 6 of them , happy, is secondary.

Cost are big but why compromise the best marketing tool they have with poor performance.

This is the window to the race and it is compromised, yet again, by batteries.

if it does not work well then why have it... especially if people are not watching it.

sorry but after watching the S to H tracker I am disappointed.

KM, language warning. By all means express your opinion. Politely. SailorX is entitled to his opinion, whether you think it's misguided or knot. Although this is not a blatant breach of the rules, it's often a comment like that that starts a thread going downhill.

SailorX, thanks for your restraint in response...

The YB is still better than no tracker.

KM, language warning. By all means express your opinion. Politely. SailorX is entitled to his opinion, whether you think it's misguided or knot. Although this is not a blatant breach of the rules, it's often a comment like that that starts a thread going downhill.

SailorX, thanks for your restraint in response...

The YB is still better than no tracker.

True. It is better than no tracker and for $4.50 its ok but S to H was so good.

these YB guys have not got the best kit to do the job.

Thats a pretty interesting comment - Given that the Sydney hobart tracker was powered by YellowBrick...

http://www.yellowbrick-tracking.com/

The poll time is adjustable - Just like the Iphone app for Predict wind tracking etc. The more you poll the more the cost and the more battery consumption - Yes its minor battery usage, but its the fact that one of the crew need to get it off the back and plug it in to charge it up. This gets forgotten and the tracker stops working. If you can eliminate the need by polling it every 60 minutes then all good.

The race isnt the same level as the Sydney Hobart. and isnt trying to be. Its a heck of an adventure and I for one are pretty glad they put the trackers in there so we can keep and eye on their adventure. SSANZ is run a little different to the CYCA and doesnt have the budget so i dont expect the same technology etc.. Well done to the team at SSANZ for getting another one off the ground.

Archived