Simrad 50 Race Report

We were last start on Revolution. So didn't leave the marina until after 8.30am. Did the poor mans bottom polish at 7.5kn to the line but saw the postponement flag before we had pulled the sails up.

Decided not to enforce port and starboard on a few late starting small boats which let Vivo get away off the line. Precedent did a full gonad call and started at the wharf and buffalo girled straight over to Rangi. I wasn't brave enough and was a bit conservative which also let Choice Transport and Spirito B past around the North Head Shore. We then went hard left into Cheltenham and then crossed over to Rangi at Rough Rock to be 100m behind Precedent and having tea and chat with Coppelia. We went a bit wider at Rangi light which initially looked a bit sad but got us into the Northerly a bit more and we rolled a lot of boats in on the beach including Precedent and we passed the first 2 small boats, Against the Flow and Mumbo Jumbo which were both having blinders.

First to Haystack. We had a very slow flat run aganst the tide with a celebration when we got over 3kn. The fleet was spread far and wide on different gybes. Got passed by Flow and Mumbo who then had a gybing duel. We gybed a couple of times to stay in phase, and rounded Motuhie just on dusk as the tide turned. Almost a lay to Issy red where the light is as faint as ever. Enough breeze to keep moving and it was a beautiful sunset.

Broad reach home with a few big boats coming through and finished quite early on. First SSANZ gun in a long time.

Big congratulations to our full division finishing.9/9. We win.

http://www.ssanz.co.nz/photos/index.htm ... AlbumID=57

thoughts from on the quarter pint. why did they start a race in this? it was character building to say the least.

we had a shocker or the other 727s had a blinder or something? who knows?

not as bad luck as the source though. thanks for the heads up on the bricks you were on....

also not sure about that issy bay red buoy having to sail up into a wind shaddow.....or if its blowing the other way hard like it usually does in the 2 handed stuff....with a kite up and no ground to run off on could be tricky at times

didn't know who it was otherwise would have protested just to prove a point. dishonesty and blatant denial isn't good sport. we beat them over the line anyway after their mare with the kite

There is an argument that if they won't start in over 35kn, then they shouldn't start in under 5kn, or s0mething like that.

didn't know who it was otherwise would have protested just to prove a point. dishonesty and blatant denial isn't good sport. we beat them over the line anyway after their mare with the kite

I'm buggered if I know why no-one protests this sh*t. Anyone who sees it and doesn't protest deserves to get beaten.

There is an argument that if they won't start in over 35kn, then they shouldn't start in under 5kn, or s0mething like that.

There was 7 knots on the start line, just nothing anywhere else.

Yesterday was a day of 'as soon as we get to..... we'll be away'

After having a slight altercation on the start line, we set off to join the parkup at north head, and drifted through it, meanwhile noticing Tigre plodding quietly up the eastern side of the channel, and Hyper sneaking through quite close to north head.

We decided to head over to follow Tigre once we got clear of the throng. Mistake.. Hyper did better and was the 1st Multi to the Lighthouse, we were second. (it went downhill from there)

We had a good sail down the outside of Waiheke, slowly seeing the other multis getting smaller in the distance, (hooters was there 1 minute, then as soon as around Rakino it was gone!)

Tried our new big Kite Evolution sails has made me, and that kept us in touch with Hyper and Tigre, till dark. (not far from passage rock)

I was wondering what other race was taking place with boats coming SE when it dawned that it must have been the shorthaul div. Was there a massive windhole near Motuihe or something....?

We did OK up to Browns (when we get there we'll be able to ease...) but then we lost it, I just couldn't get the boat to go, kept listening to nowcast, and they kept saying 3 gusting five at Bean Rock, and we were seeing 1 if lucky. We saw lights passing, and could do nothing about it.

As soon as we got to Bean Rock, we got the breeze, and cruised down to the finish at about 5 knots and finished last Multi, (but only about 20mins after the next to last).

We won on handicap, but really a little bit unfair, it was like just adding an hr onto everyone's time with the big parkup, and so the lower the handicap, the better the outcome.

Anyway, a good race, thanks to SSANZ for the event, and a special thanks to those on the finish boat, it's a thankless task and I appreciate you staying out to must have been after 3am to finish us all.

See ya all next race

We heard the 'discussion' you had with Bays Flyer about sailing inside Iliomama!

Before we go too far with rumours of cheating etc... I will say I know the skipper of Bays Flyer for a number of years and was somewhat surprised to read these posts yesterday. I then got a phone call this morning from Bays Flyer to say that they were told at Bean Rock by another boat that they had failed to past Iliomama on the correct side. From their side of the fence they say they sailed out away from Rangitoto to pass it but they never saw Iliomama and it is possible that they didn't go out far enough even though they thought they had (I personally believe this from past history). The other boat was very adamant that they had sailed to the north of Iliomama and as such they are withdrawing from the race.

So well done Bays Flyer. I just hope the correct boat has been identified.

Well that race shouldn't hurt the handicap. We were looking bloody good in Zen, even got to within 20 metres of Kiwi between Howick and Motuihe. They eventually beat us by 1 hour so it really was a case of the poor getting very much poorer as the breeze died. We sailed the rhumb line to Browns and it seemed that those who went higher did better. Dorking Truxton till they took off north and disappeared. So it can be done, just going to have to start going the right way. Pork Chop did amazingly well, beat us by 2 hours. It would be interesting to hear their story.

Pork Chop story - anchored a few times, didnt stuff anything up too badly, went mostly the right way and the beers were always cold.

That was a good day out despite the lack of wind. We put a report on our web site here

I haven't done a Simrad race before so it's all a bit of an adventure. There's nothing like this series in Australia so it's just fantastic to come over and get into it. You fellas (and fellesses) are so fortunate to have those awesome sailing grounds right on the doorstep.

We thought we did OK, but some boats in div 2 really carved it up. Great effort Pork Chop - you totally killed it to get in when you did. That is a very well deserved win.

Totally hanging out for the next one of these.

There was 7 knots on the start line, just nothing anywhere else.

I reckon if you can get the fleet away it has to be done. It sounds like having a way to shorten the course for the short-haul fleet would have been good. I heard some horror stories about 3am finishes for them.

well done tom! cheesy music and all - someone even had MJ playing full noise! should be instant dsq for that!!

our race ?? we had one! great start looking famous up with PC using a zero, parked at noth head but not far enough left, everyone stacked up on top of us leaving very little option but to eventually wriggle right, got smoked in the tide, half the crew had to be somewhere so pulled the pin

Very frustrating so well done to those that hung in there

bring on 25knts for the next one!!

thanks cam and the crew difficult start line

I then got a phone call this morning from Bays Flyer to say that they were told at Bean Rock by another boat that they had failed to past Iliomama on the correct side. The other boat was very adamant that they had sailed to the north of Iliomama and as such they are withdrawing from the race.

They have gained my respect.

Must say I was suprised with the number of boats who chose to start on Port.

That is a little like starting a motor race facing the wrong way and hoping that you would do the first lap backwards before any traffic arrives?

Shows a lack of experience on alot of parts and had much potential for damage. Basicly just dumb, and if you think back to sailing 101 in the opti did they say to start on port or stbd, I'm pretty sure they said make sure the tiller is in your left hand?

The line should have been a bit longer for fleet size and conditions too I thought.

20/20 vision backwards eh.

Must say I was suprised with the number of boats who chose to start on Port.

That is a little like starting a motor race facing the wrong way and hoping that you would do the first lap backwards before any traffic arrives?

Shows a lack of experience on alot of parts and had much potential for damage. Basicly just dumb, and if you think back to sailing 101 in the opti did they say to start on port or stbd, I'm pretty sure they said make sure the tiller is in your left hand?

The line should have been a bit longer for fleet size and conditions too I thought.

20/20 vision backwards eh.

WTF - were you actually out there?

It was a port tack reach from a heavily bias line. Starboard tack wasnt an option unless you enjoy sailing the wrong way!!

Rattle and Rum- Simrad 50

It sure was looking like a driftathon!

At least there was hope, the promise of more wind in the afternoon/evening made the first 3 hrs of drifting bearable.

We got away to a good start at the boat end, there was a bit of a sandwich but we got away clean and with good pace and were in a good position to approach the North Head parking lot wherever we wanted. We could see the whole A div fleet going backwards in tide out in the main channel so opted for the good old North head back eddy and into the slight breeze off Cheltenham, we somehow managed to come out of this quite well and were up with overload and karma police with only V5 ahead of them, We stayed left for a while and came back at a good time to be around Rangi light with only 5 or 6 boats out of the whole fleet ahead of us. Pork chop slowly rolled us across the top with their code zero set and looking sharp, but we caught them again in the Rakino passage and did a nice peel from the reacher to the spinnaker. We were the first shorthaul boat thru Rakino passage and down to Motuhie where we were looking good and couldn’t even see who was the next boat. we parked up hard in Motuhie passage and got pushed back up by the tide right into the motutapu shore. We then watched the whole fleet come down in a new breeze and go right around us down on the leeward side of the channel with about 10-15 boats sneaking thru including a good bunch from our division. This was pretty painfull going from Hero to ZERO so quickly! We kept our cool and set our sights on cool change and recreation who were now a long way ahead of us. we cut the southern tip of motuhie quite tight and were first into the new breeze funneling down between motuhie and waiheke and peeled from the MH spin to the MH gennaker then settled into the long reach to passage rock. Managed to sneak around a couple of 88s and slowly pulled away. It was the perfect angle for the gennaker and we were slowly pulling the front runners back in, a nice gybe peel to the reacher at passage and we gained a few more boats. We decided to stay low in the middle of the channel for max breeze and I think this worked as we could see a bunch of boats up high going very slow. Coming into browns island we changed back to the headsail and sailed hard on to only just clear browns island and back to the reacher briefly heading towards bean rock, again we had to go back to the headsail and do a few short tacks to clear bean rock then also ended up hard on the wind and tacking up to the finish in about 2 kts of wind having a tacking duel with Flyer.

Had no idea where we were placed in our fleet but got a pleasant surprise when we got a gun at the finish!!!! We had got the double, line and handicap and the 3rd fastest boat around the shorthaul course behind the Hornblower who had an amazing race and the big Elliot 45 Flyer. Happy to beat all the Y88s, 1020s, S34s, and Ross 930s on line!

Staying mid channel on the way back must have been a winner.

GO THE SR26!!!! What fantastic little boats they are.

Archived