Simrad 50 Race Report

Point was in our division there were many parked on the line on port at the pin who had no intention of even looking under their sail for a sbd tacker.

I can assure you we look and look hard when in a situation like that. We wouldn't, especially in a situation like Saturday, go into a port hand start without having a well above 50% chance of pulling it off. We and I'd like to think everyone else who started similar were aware we had zero rights while doing so.

Point is lost on most here obviously

I also get your point and agree with it, some just aimed and hoped, far from good practice. We just weren't one of those.

As I've been saying for a while, if no one protests stuff like this it'll just keep happening. Heard of a few start infractions which I'm lead to believe caused flags to be raised. Where are the protests? None seen. Any reason for people to knot to silly sh*t again next time? Nope. Look forward to a repeat.

Point was in our division there were many parked on the line on port at the pin who had no intention of even looking under their sail for a sbd tacker.

I can assure you we look and look hard when in a situation like that. We wouldn't, especially in a situation like Saturday, go into a port hand start without having a well above 50% chance of pulling it off. We and I'd like to think everyone else who started similar were aware we had zero rights while doing so.

I also get your point and agree with it, some just aimed and hoped, far from good practice. We just weren't one of those.

As I've been saying for a while, if no one protests stuff like this it'll just keep happening. Heard of a few start infractions which I'm lead to believe caused flags to be raised. Where are the protests? None seen. Any reason for people to knot to silly sh*t again next time? Nope. Look forward to a repeat.

Jez KM, its not all about u. Fukit, I tried to make a point about 3 days ago about the quality of starting proceedure! And cocks like you hijac the thread and talk about your start, and now you finally get it.

As someone said this site is 80% six old pricks siting around the campfire giving each other a hand crank, 20% the people with something to say who get lost in the noise.

Mothership or whoever, if you locked out anyone who makes more than 3 posts a day the site quality will go through the roof, or at least pick itself off the floor.

PS The parrot is your wife

nothing wrong with the Site

Let all who want to contribute, do so, and let the readers decide if they are wankers or not

If you don't want to read it, you have the right to ignore it.

Bull, I for one will start on port if the situation is right (I did on Saturday), and if I get it wrong, I get protested, if not all the better. No one was going to get hurt on Saturday, and I got away with my port start(1st over the line behind a windward boat that did it's penalty turns after the start)

Jez KM, its not all about u. Fukit, I tried to make a point about 3 days ago about the quality of starting proceedure! And cocks like you hijac the thread and talk about your start, and now you finally get it.

I knew what you were trying to say but you did call me out saying I didn't know the rules, what we did was wrong and couldn't be done. I thought I should correct you as it is quite obvious you're the one quite wrong and could benefit by knowing that, it may improve your starts.

I do apologise for trying to correct your misunderstanding and/or lack of knowledge. Continue to flounder around in an ignorant manner if you so desire. Just try to do it knot by us Thank you.

I’ve caught a stray parrot in my garden. All he says is 'Good morning you ugly Bastard'.

It’s knot yours is it?

I'm even more worried about you lot now ! Bloody civil unions...

Good on you BULL, I get sick of having to skip waffle throughout the site, its a great site but some people have way too much time on their hands....

Guest Dry Reach

As someone said this site is 80% six old pricks siting around the campfire giving each other a hand crank, 20% the people with something to say who get lost in the noise.

Mothership or whoever, if you locked out anyone who makes more than 3 posts a day the site quality will go through the roof, or at least pick itself off the floor.

:silent: :silent: :silent: :silent: :( :wink:

Good on you BULL, I get sick of having to skip waffle throughout the site, its a great site but some people have way too much time on their hands....

Save yourself some time, I believe there is an 'ignore' button somewhere ;)

You have more time on here than you do on the water, couldnt even finish the race....

Were you more worried about getting your next post up?

You have more time on here than you do on the water, couldnt even finish the race....

once the 727's went past him the dumbies started flying

Put the nuts away Tuffy. I'm knot getting into silly and child like personal attacks.

I was just trying to help Boatslut with his time management, it doesn't seem to be as good as mine.

Guest Dry Reach

Save yourself some time, I believe there is an 'ignore' button somewhere ;)

Yeah but the temptation to PeeK :wtf: :shock: is top miuch for some aye KM :wink:

I would appreciate it if Mr Bull could describe the rest of his approach to the start for us. I assume that in order to approach the pin end on starboard (especially with any hope of actually starting on starboard) the approach (given the wind direction) would have needed to be from the course side of the line right? Where does that put you in relation to the start boat?

I assume the plan was to arrive at the pin either as the start gun went or a bit before that and run down the line still on starboard turning anyone around that was silly enough to be there on port?

A valid plan I guess but given that the boats were stacked up on port what did you expect them to do?

Each boat in turn would have had to come up from a reach through the wind and tack with next to no boat speed all this time altering course towards you?

I assume also that once tacked (now on stb and hard on the wind) you would have been prepared to give way as the windward boat?

Sorry but I am just struggling with understanding how you thought it was all going to work?

I would appreciate it if Mr Bull could describe the rest of his approach to the start for us. I assume that in order to approach the pin end on starboard (especially with any hope of actually starting on starboard) the approach (given the wind direction) would have needed to be from the course side of the line right? Where does that put you in relation to the start boat?

I assume the plan was to arrive at the pin either as the start gun went or a bit before that and run down the line still on starboard turning anyone around that was silly enough to be there on port?

A valid plan I guess but given that the boats were stacked up on port what did you expect them to do?

Each boat in turn would have had to come up from a reach through the wind and tack with next to no boat speed all this time altering course towards you?

I assume also that once tacked (now on stb and hard on the wind) you would have been prepared to give way as the windward boat?

Sorry but I am just struggling with understanding how you thought it was all going to work?

Well bugger me amongst all the otherstuff someone who wants to talk sailing.

I think we are finally getting to the point I was trying to make, just 50 posts, 5 days and lotsa ???????????p later.

As you say Infinity

“A valid plan I guess but given that the boats were stacked up on port what did you expect them to do?”

I didn’t expect anyone to be parked on or close to the pin on Port. It is just nonsensical unless you run the “fuckit if I don’t look at them they will go around me” program. And that’s exactly what we had to do, the 8-10 boats had no hope of and made no attempt to do anything. Sure if the line is advanced heaps, you maybe could port tack the fleet from the other wharf end(primarily because most sbd tackers have gybed before your line). Both are valid strategies, one removes the need for a speed depleting gybe, the other promises clean air earlier.

The plan was, we came in parallel with the line from Devonport wharf direction, all rights what could go wrong, asap gybe onto port and head towards north head, clear air and the ability to heat up for apparent as required. More or less what happened except we had to dip 3 or 4 port tackers and then gybe quickly into a gap or we would have gone strait through the side of any one of about 5 more port tackers lined up absolutely oblivious! It could have so easily have been a 10k pile up even at only the 3-4 knots we were doing.

I have mentioned no names, and am not interested (quite frankly I was hard out missing them, let alone getting names and shoe sizes) and this is the point I attempted to make, people need to think before the start and there are some things you just don’t do.

And maybe the Race Committee need to give greater room and or a windward start to lessen the risks with big short handed fleets.

What rotted my undies was the disregard for fundamental sailing rules and then on this site a perceived variation to the norms “just because it’s a two handed race”. If they cant follow the rules two handed they should stay with the on-line sailing.

Sounds like sort of a plan I guess. You say parallel to the start line, to be on stb you must have been almost by the lee? Still on stb though so that's what matters.

Did you pass in front of the start boat?

Not so sure about the theory that the other (port) boats 'should not be there'. As I understand it they have every right to be there until such time as someone has rights over them.

I put it to you that almost everyone out there considered if a stb start was possible or practical given the conditions and that other than yourself pretty much everyone else decided it was not. Sure a few approached on stb some distance back from the line and gybed into the line up at a point that suited them but no one except you attempted to actually be at the pin on stb and start on stb.

RE the Committee - Given that one end of the start line is the wharf how exactly do you propose (given the wind direction on the day) they create a windward start? Remember the solution needs to cater for all wind directions. Impossible. It is not unusual for keelboat races to start on a fixed line Coastal Classic, Sydney Hobart etc etc

The line was plenty long enough, those that started in the middle or at the wharf end had plenty of room.

Sounds like sort of a plan I guess. You say parallel to the start line, to be on stb you must have been almost by the lee? Still on stb though so that's what matters.

Did you pass in front of the start boat?

Not so sure about the theory that the other (port) boats 'should not be there'. As I understand it they have every right to be there until such time as someone has rights over them.

I put it to you that almost everyone out there considered if a stb start was possible or practical given the conditions and that other than yourself pretty much everyone else decided it was not. Sure a few approached on stb some distance back from the line and gybed into the line up at a point that suited them but no one except you attempted to actually be at the pin on stb and start on stb.

RE the Committee - Given that one end of the start line is the wharf how exactly do you propose (given the wind direction on the day) they create a windward start? Remember the solution needs to cater for all wind directions. Impossible. It is not unusual for keelboat races to start on a fixed line Coastal Classic, Sydney Hobart etc etc

The line was plenty long enough, those that started in the middle or at the wharf end had plenty of room.

Wrong, TWD was 28?m from memory and we went in around 140TWA.

Funny the first three finishers in our division employed the same stbd start strategy, and yes your port mates had every right to be there until called, but when called they did diddly squat.

I put it to you that half the fleet don’t know their elbow from their arsehole or they wouldn’t have been there as they could never do anything when the inevitable stbd boats arrived, and that is the point that keeps getting lost with the tumbleweed on the prairie. It was the worst display of starting I have seen since a Hawaiian rum race. Yada yada yea I know tap em, protest em, or go home, unfortunately yours is possibly the attitude I have a problem with, as in reality in a start like that, neither are practical or desirable options.

Re starting procedure, there is no necessity to use the wharf but immediate possibilities are if they use the wharf, lengthen the line, or as many do without massive complication set a line and have a short beat. I suggest that in this case even a 200m increase in line size would have had a big effect.

Oh yea looking under your headsail when starting on port is a novel idea which has caught on in some quarters too, I know a silly idea for this crowd though.

Interesting picture attached to give a graphic view of the TWA in Mr Bull's eyes.

Everyone that was there can make up there own minds. Actually if that's a m for magnetic it's even further to the right?

Understand you don't drink Mr Bull but what ever it is that you are on I suggest you seek help ASAP.

post-78-141887161747.jpg

Archived