Sandspit marina debate continues

shorebreeze

Banaari.....I doubt the marina bathtub will be swept by water as in the meaning of swept…a vigorous swooshing, cleaning all before the sweeper being the tide. More an inflow, dropping sediment in the quiet waters, then as the tide goes out, water flow out, leaving sediment behind in the ‘bathtub.’

The sediment question was raised in the previous thread last year. Maybe you would like to re-read that thread?

Knot Me, you ask what is my ultimate outcome and why?

Maybe read the opening statement of this debate thread and enlightenment may follow.

It is for SYCMS to disclose - where they are going to dump.

The community is waiting for the answer, not the spin….just the truth.

Even Auckland Council does not know where the dredgings are going.

And that is a fact.

So, the question remains. Why is SYCMS not talking about where they are going to dump their dredgings? Is it because they do not have a disposal site?

Publicly available documents in 2006 and 2007 refer to the Great Barrier dump site “This will be the most expensive option for disposal…This option is most unlikely to be viable given the estimated quantity of dredged material required to be disposed of.”

And…”The viability of the project depends on finding an economical solution to the disposal of dredgings.”

And…”Completion of a search of potential land based disposal sites is critical to determining the cost and feasibility of a marina on the site.”

And one needs to take into account that on giving a resource consent it would appear that the financial viability of a project is not a consideration. But it IS a consideration for the investors.

So one needs to seriously wonder why a Local Board member who has publicly declared that he is a supporter of the marina, along with the Chair of the Sandspit ratepayers association who is the salesman for the marina berths, buddy up to present for the 2nd time what appears to be a desperate attempt to dump the dredgings within the estuary. One-dump on the east side of the spit and call it storm surge and tsunami surge control (like it worked in Japan?) along with dump it in one of the remaining lagoons. One could suspect that they were hoping that the new Local Board members would be caught napping. Looks like they were napping or just susceptible to spin but Auckland Transport was not.

Did those wiley foxes just forget to mention that the original hearings refused consent to dump dredgings in a lagoon even for temporary storage in 2010? And did they forget to mention that SYCMS did not appeal that refusal of consent? And here they are under the umbrella of a hijacked ratepayers association promoting dumping in the lagoon. The community could be forgiven for suspecting with good reason that SYCMS has nowhere to dump within the financial feasibility of the whole project?

To true Mr Tuffy. 19 pages and he's still hasn't got past post number 1. But then he's no different to the others like him that object to any project anyone tries in NZ, including every other marina build.

I just hope he doesn't get too upset when he finally realises the marina is going to happen no matter how much he bitches. I suppose he'll be able to stroll the new landscaped areas while soaking up all the other benefits the marina will bring to the area so that may soften the blow.

Here’s something for readers (and dogs) to chew on. How could this project be quoted on and priced, without a full barging and dumping plan?

Is the cost going to blow out?? And if so who pays the ferryman? The SYC members? As in the ones who don’t have a berth but have to wear the consent conditions?

Grinna was so right when he wrote on 23rd January 2014 “ If the cost of transporting dredgings from here to there is going to financially corrupt a marina, its basically screwed from the start."

Why hasn’t Shorebreeze got past the topic on Page 1? Maybe because there are no straight answers? Just spin, smoke and mirrors from those who support the marina and most probably don’t live at Sandspit so couldn’t give a hoot what happens to it? From some of the very superficial postings, I’m starting to suspect that their writings reflect their minds. Can’t see what’s just under the surface.

And maybe Knot Me could list the benefits to the SYC members of this marina project?

Bump :D

Let's go for 100 pages.

Sand spit is a beautiful place. On of my faves.

But a marina is a 50/50 call for me.

I like marina's but some places are just too nice for them.

Placing a marina in Sandspit is akin to putting a container wharf extension half way across to Bays water.

Nobody here would like that and all here would be "shore breezes" maybe even full gales!

So we finally get confirmation the answer to the question of how you'd like to see this all pan out is in fact 'I don't want it to happen in my place or what's more commonly known as a NIMBY'. That's a perfectly viable reason to have so one does wonder why you took so much effort knot to just say so. Good golly.

There is an awful lot of grasping at straws and nimbyism and fighting an already lost battle going on here, the marina is going to happen, maybe Shorebreeze needs some back fill on his place and is put out that no one has offered him some dredgings, or to allow him or his profesorial mates to do studies of how rain may affect it and if it will block the drains etc.

Knot Me, on another Marine Talk thread I believe you were challenged by Khayyam “go on then, set the record straight” because it seems to me that you can throw the insults but knot back it up with facts.

“ soaking up all the other benefits the marina will bring to the area” Knot me said.

I asked; “And maybe Knot Me could list the benefits to the SYC members of this marina project?”

Well, come on Knot Me, set the record straight and list those benefits to the community and to all the SYC members, not just the newby marina members and the few businessmen who are promoting the marina project far and wide.

How you get NIMBY from where are the dredgings going? is a mystical leap of your vivid imagination.

And is the marina happening? Where is the evidence? Write it as facts here!

As you don't really want to listen SB all I can do is say just wait a short amount of time and all the answers you need will unfold before your very eyes.

As many watchers seem interested I just ran into this lot.

SYC Marina - 131 berths of which 97 are reported as sold.

Ongoing costs - $3000 to $4500 depending on berth length and plus GST. Berth holders must be members of the club, Family Membership for $185.

Terms of Licences are until 2046.

http://www.marinaberths.com/facilities/sandspit.html

Nothing unusual there.

No sign of dredging cost as those will be in the construction costs, as they always are. Dredging costs 20 years down the track?? No idea but the berth licence will spell that out, as all commercial rent and lease contracts always do.

What impresses me most about this thread is 20 pages of the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and overand over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overand over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overand over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overand over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overand over and over and over and over and overand over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

Good research Knot Me.

Interesting that the marina boys reckon that all the berths are sold and the money is in the kitty, yet this basic requirement of their consent of having sold all the berths and all the money deposited with the trustee, doesn't seem to stack up with 34 berths unsold? That means almost one quarter of the berths are yet to be sold.

Thinking of the welfare of the real SYC members as opposed to the marina newbys, hopefully you are aware that anyone who wants a berth needs to join the club as part of buying a berth. So when one declares that this project is an SYC project it’s an interesting play on words. Buy a berth=a necessity of becoming a member of the club. Since the proposed marina was originally touted for those who were club members pre-consent and particularly for elderly members who found it difficult to get to their moored boats, it seems somewhat insincere (to put it mildly) that suddenly it has morphed into a commercial venture advertised wherever possible and unaffordable for a large number of real SYC members. We all know a large number pulled out of the marina venture when the money was called for.

Various community members who did not want a berth have tried over the last few years to join the club and been told No, the club is full or their application simply ignored. How genuine is that? As I’ve suggested before, this project has all the hallmarks of a parasitic development on the previously welcome community asset.

And, I’m waiting as are all other real SYC members (not pseudo-newby-marina berth buyers) to read all the benefits which you have suggested you know.

Knot me said…“ soaking up all the other benefits the marina will bring to the area

Please list them. Or maybe you have joined the 'integrity and sincerity' team?

I’ve been reading the latest Marina society news on their website and some of the assertions in Mahurangi Matters re the imminence of the proposed Sandspit marina.

A certain Gilbert & Sullivan song immediately comes to mind.

Things are seldom what they seem,

Skim milk masquerades as cream;

Highlows pass as patent leathers;

Jackdaws strut in peacock's feathers.

Very true,

So they do.

Black sheep dwell in every fold;

All that glitters is not gold;

Storks turn out to be but logs;

Bulls are but inflated frogs.

So they be,

Frequentlee.

Drops the wind and stops the mill;

Turbot is ambitious brill;

Gild the farthing if you will,

Yet it is a farthing still.

Yes, I know.

That is so.

Worn-out garments show new patches;

Only count the chick that hatches;

Men are grown-up catchy-catchies.

Yes, I know,

That is so.

Though to catch my drift he's striving,

I'll dissemble ? I'll dissemble;

When he sees at what I'm driving,

Let him tremble ? let him tremble!

Tho' a mystic tone I borrow,

He will learn the truth with sorrow;

Here today and gone tomorrow.

Yes, I know,

That is so

"

And I remind the readers that SYCMS wrote, almost 1 whole year ago.....

“The message is, we will do our best but don’t believe everything you read!!!"

Now THAT I can believe!

Archived