Sandspit marina debate continues

shorebreeze

If people Google - "Sandspit marina dredging" they will find a mine feild of info to read through.

I have spent three hours sifting thru information from both sides.

This marina will create berths for yacht owners but will become another west park cock up. Dr Graces sediment / silt study ( the only valid info on this piece of water shows that this marina will silt up yearly and it WILL leave boats high and dry requiring re-dredging and increased cost.

The silt has high deposits of farm chemical / turd residue which should NOT be disturbed.

The advantages of Yacht storage versus the environmental and visual impact are not justifiable.. other than income generation for a yacht club

Then there is the secrecy over the dump site. Meanwhile the silt/sediment taken from the Spit will be replaced with more silt (that accumulates at about 330mm PA) as the forces of nature does its stuff and turn the marina into either a chess pool or it fills with silt' sediment and Cuprous Oxide.

People should read all the info. For me ShoreBreeze is justified to have a voice on this despite the fact the whole thing has been bullied and railroaded by money hungry "lobbyists/ people" who have the ear of public officials whom only hear the words..." money,

Shore breeze may be a bit late on his timing but he may have the .last laugh when /if it turns to custard and certain people were found to be wrong.

There are many cases like this where people like shorebreeze are proven right.

If people Google - "Sandspit marina dredging" they will find a mine feild of info to read through.

Googling that gets you very little upto date info. Most of it is fairly old and/or it's very biased info given to a Local News paper. Which is one reason why nzrat is being rather guarded as there are, or is a certain Resident that is just trying to make trouble. I have no idea if that resident is Mr Shorebreeze or not.

This maybe slightly more helpful.

http://www.sandspitmarina.co.nz/

Wheels, I went to sandspitmarina.co.nz and got the same old inaccurate spin re the bid for dumping on the spit or to the east of the spit.

While doling out their spin you are wearing out your tyres and losing traction. The smoke that you are creating further clouds the mirrors that your lot are hiding behind. It is becoming obvious perhaps that while you are creating donuts you are going nowhere and methinks you do not have a LEGAL dumpsite.

If truth=trouble then it may be logical to think that SYCMS=deviousness?

Dude, who in their right mind would dump anything Illegally in this day and age????

There are that many hoops for SYC to jump through in this and any one Hoop not jumped through correctly would get the project shut down. As said many times, go ask SYC directly. Or you could even ask the CLG (community liaison group).

Ship it to Aus and dump it on the reef

It is just one of those "Attention Seeking" headlines Sq...I mean, BP(that's going to take some getting used to) They are not dumping anything on the reef and they are going to monitoring the Reef to ensure nothing gets on it.

If truth=trouble then it may be logical to think that SYCMS=deviousness?
Or maybe just a simple case of you going to the Supermarket to have a vasectomy? Or maybe it's they know you and have had enough so just won't speak anymore. I have no idea but that is 2 viable options as to why you can't get what took me 5 minutes to find out.

But rest assured it's knot going in or on water.

Dr Grace may say all he likes about sedimentation, but he is not recognised as an expert in that field. Just because you' ex got a degree and wear a white lab coat doesn't mean you're an expert in every area of science or engineering. Roger Grace is a nice guy and really knowledgable about lots of things, but I would never engage him to advise on sedimentation issues.

"If Truth=Trouble"

Does that make any sense to anyone?

"then it maybe logical to think that shorebreeze=deviousness" Now that certainly makes sense to me.

So a question to you Mr shorebreeze (I doubt we will get a truthful answer) but what exactly is it that you are against with having the Marina built?

My view is, that Sandspit is a bit of a messy looking place right now. Looking at the proposed Design, the area is going to be smartened up no end. In fact it is going to be really nice. The only thing that is going to be different slightly, is that you are going to have just a few Silver or White sticks sticking up in the air in one particular place. However they will be in some ruff kind or neat order. The improvements to the area are going to be really nice and I can imagine a really lovely place for Families to picnic and play and look at Birds and fish from the shoreline and so on.

Or is it that you don't want people? you just want the area all to your wee few selves??

Check out Hawkes Bay the number of temporary workers that come in for the fruit picking season and the pruning season form the Islands and Africa is huge as the local unemployed find the work to hard, and if they turn up its only for a day.

I could be wrong, but I think you will find he simply asked. It is increasingly becoming a rare concept these days, but there is a device that is not unlike a Smart phone in that you can pick it up in your hand, press a few buttons in a particular sequence and you can then actually have a Vocal conversation with someone else, even at quite some considerable distance away.

09-425 9008

He did. That is the link. He picked up the phone, called them and asked the question.They told him the answer. Pretty simple really. Go figure.

Wheels, child of the 80s and professional geek I might be, but I do vaguely remember a 4th-year course in how to use a "telephone".

But in this specific instance I would rather NOT be the umpteenth person hassling the poor unfortunates running the yacht club and asking the same darned question as the result of, god help us, an online spat... if there's a perfectly simple answer already in possession of someone who might, if they're inclined, be persuaded to share it for the benefit of all and put this train-wreck of a thread to bed once and for all.

Unless of course KM and NZ Rat are simply enjoying messing with shorebreeze' mind...

Unless of course KM and NZ Rat are simply enjoying messing with shorebreeze' mind...
:thumbup:

Nothing personally against you mate. It's just that you and a couple of others have stepped too far into the sticky fly paper.

On that sedimentation rate arguments I have a question:

How often does SYC have to get their current channel to the boat ramp dredged? I presume this would give a much better indicator of sedimentation rates than Dr Graces ' scientific' sampling.

And where the stuff is going, I too am confident that the RMA processes will ensure this happens in a environmental safe way.

While a good messing with can be fun in this case it's knot that. If I can find it out in 5 mins yet SB can't (assuming he already hasn't and is just trolling) there has to be a good reason for that so I'll leave it to the powers that be to tell him if they see fit. Basically something knot right and as I don't know what that is I'll leave it to those deep in it to sort it all out.

As a member of SYC, former member of SYC exec. and VC I have been following this thread with interest. So went to marina sales office, got answers and walked away informed. Wasnt too hard. Happy to give directions to the marina sales office.

(Also of interest were the mudlarks out measuring their sediment traps among the squid eggs exposed by the low tide. All the stations appeared to be at the channel edge rather than a standardised grid pattern. Not sure how this really helps understand sediment movement over an area the size of a marina.)

So, did you ask whether someone buying a berth today would bear any financial responsibility for removing the sediment during construction and annually after construction?

If the answer to that is yes are those costs "fixed" to the extent that a contract has been signed for the dredging and dumping of said sediment at a firm price?

Not stirring, these are questions any potential buyer should ask as a matter of normal due diligence, but you have taken the time to find out.

ALso out of curiosity what tenure does the berth holder have?

Archived