Sandspit marina debate continues

shorebreeze

As I keep saying all the way through this thread, these two guys have no other reason to be here than to cause trouble. They may well be one and the same person and IT has asked some questions that they are so far silent in answering.

By the way, for those that may not know, as part of resource consent, a special committee was set up so that all information, questions and concerns could be discussed. On that committee is a representative of the Local Residences. So these two guys have a proper formal method that they can have their questions and concerns asked and answered through. So why are they here????

The important point to be aware of, is that they are giving a lot of false information hidden within truth. It's OK for others to want to ask valid questions, but there is no point in asking a question of something that isn't even part of the story.

As I keep being told, the best course of action is not to "feed the trolls" so perhaps we should all just ignore this thread. I am from now on.

I had to sit through a sales seminar this morning, and as often happens my mind wandered. I tried to visualize 100,000 m3.

Since the 1/4 acre is about 1000 m, if you put it on a full sized residential section it would be a mountain 100m high, about 1/3 the way up the skytower.

On a 10 acre block it would be 2.5m high, a 100 acre farm 1/4 m.

Americans throw away enough garbage everyday to fill 63,000 garbage trucks .

But if you took all the waste developed by the planet over ten years and dug a hole 100M deep you would only fill an area the size of the Horowhenua.... a good place to dump it :D .

Readers may be interested to read this article in Mahurangi Matters-February 19. Page 3

Sandspit Marina construction starting date still unknown

Construction on the Sandspit Marina has still not started and Auckland Transport has declined an offer to use dredgings from the project to repair and reinforce the Sandspit seawall.

Construction was to begin on February 1. However, it had still not begun at the time Mahurangi Matters went to print.

The marina is to be built by Hopper Construction. General manager Guy Jones says he is unable to comment on construction details, but says construction will be “imminent” following the completion of the standard paperwork.

Representatives of the Sandspit Marina declined to comment on when construction would begin, or where dredgings from the marina would be disposed.

In December the Sandspit Residents & Ratepayers Association asked the Rodney Local Board to reconsider using dredgings, after a request was declined two years ago.

The decision was referred to Auckland Transport, which has confirmed the process would require resource consent.

Because the consent would probably have to be publicly notified, and could be contested in the Environment Court, “it does not appear possible to align the timing of such a project with the construction of the marina in any case”, says Auckland Transport.

Meanwhile, an opponent of the marina claims that sedimentation rates at the proposed site continue to be far higher than those forecast by developers.

Sediment traps installed by marine biologist Roger Grace have been used since December 2012 to record sediment levels at the proposed site. According to Dr Grace, traps checked on February 3 gave results of between 23mm to 30mm. Original forecasts were for 30mm of sediment in a year, he says.

Dr Grace is concerned that high levels of sediment could mean that costs to dredge the marina might be much higher than expected.

My comment; NB one month of sediment=30mm. Whereas theoretical estimates i.e. no measurements=30mm per year. As an investor would I choose to believe the actual measurements or the theory? www.whangateau.org article shows measurements of both Whangateau AND Sandspit.

And, why so many "no comment" s?

AND if the marina boys won't give comment to the media who report openly and fairly, presenting all sides of a debate, then what hope would a community member have?

So, go ask the SYC some say? I suggest I'd get a better answer from a brick wall. :silent:

Where are the 120,000 cu m of dredgings going?

Actually, I think I have the answer..its going nowhere. ? :wtf:

..... to the media who report openly and fairly, presenting all sides of a debate....

That is hilarious. funniest post of the day. :D :D :D

Indeed it is - just ask Krim.com!

Clipper and Dan, what is truly hilarious is this:

"Representatives of the Sandspit Marina declined to comment on when construction would begin, or where dredgings from the marina would be disposed."

I have refrained from commenting on this thread until now but this seems to confirm everything Shorebreeze has been saying.

Nice state of play update by the SYC the other day.

Seems they are somewhat over being misrepresented and having what they say twisted so often. No wonder they have been scared to say much out loud. Hard to blame them after reading this thread as it also has a more than it's fair share of fact twisting and misrepresentation.

If SYC were concerned about what was being said on this forum their best course of action would be to clearly state their case. PR 101 - when faced with a lack of information people try to fill in the blanks or guess, leading to often incorrect conclusions or opinion.

I don't think SYC are concerned about what is being said here, which is fair enough. If they are concerned then they've missed a good opportunity to state their case.

Hardly cryptic BP. They don't like what they say being twisted and fiddled with to suit some peoples agendas. Knowing what's going on and what's been said in this thread it's hard, near impossible, to say they are wrong as it's happening here as well. That comment definitely appears to be targeted at the more mainstream media, one area specifically. But it does say they have been talking to one organisation who is promising to report things without a reporter interpreting any of it so everyone gets to hear what the marina dudes are actually saying. Looks like Clipper and Dan were indeed quite correct with their posts. But they also say 'We'll wait and see if that does come to pass'.

Smitty, I seriously doubt they care much, if at all, about this thread as it's full of shite stirring by some very obviously anti's, for whatever reason I don't know. But then try to do anything in NZ these days and the antis will come out in force and misconstrue as much as they can, as one or 2 in this thread have also done. It's common and why we as a nation won't move forward without lots of unnecessary tears and hair pulling.

I'd post it but all that would happen is some posters would brezze in and start all the blaa blaa inaccurate blaa blaa again. There's nothing constructive about that for anyone.

The dodacky said something about posting it on their website shortly.

Dudes! Stop giving this thread air.

Nothing to see here! :crazy:

Nothing said here will change anything.

I hear there is a marina planned for the Matakana township next :mrgreen:

Knot Me said "Nice state of play update by the SYC the other day.

Seems they are somewhat over being misrepresented and having what they say twisted so often. No wonder they have been scared to say much out loud. Hard to blame them after reading this thread as it also has a more than its fair share of fact twisting and misrepresentation."

Yes, Knot Me, this thread sure has some fact twisting and great to see that SYC is at last making an update. Marina update on 26 February, by SYC.

Also pleasing to see no ‘penguins and oil tanker bow waves’ in that update. What was that guy on?

There were a lot of words in the latest update- 1,244 of them.

But not one word about where they are going to dump the dredgings…..

Neither is their one word as to whether all the berths have been sold and the money in the bank.

Without those 2 facts, there is not going to be any marina.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that there are pro- and anti-stances on this thread. The topic has a heading of 'Sandspit marina debate continues'.

:thumbup:

Without those 2 facts, there is not going to be any marina.
One does wonder why you are posting here asking all the questions when you already know the marina isn't going ahead?

I hope you've been community spirited and told everyone up there.

Knot Me - so are you saying the marina is not going ahead?

Maybe you know more than I do?

Have the marina investors been informed?

Will we be seeing a posting on TradeMe - marina consent going cheap…..?

Have the SYC members been told that the consent can be sold on, to the highest bidder?

And have the SYC members been told that they would still be responsible for the consent conditions?

Couldn’t it be a drain on the SYC kitty, what is left in it, after the purchase of the Brick Bay Drive property for a marina carpark?

But it is Knot Me who seems to be informing the community that the marina may well not happen as I reckon that most of the community is already following this thread. :wtf:

Archived