16 months adrift in a 24 ft boat

Black Panther

The latest news tonight.

The family of the man who claimed to have survived 13 months at sea have confirmed he had been missing since 2012.

Jose Salvador Albarengo says he survived the ordeal by using his hand as bait to catch baby sharks by the tail and catching turtles and birds by hand.

However, Mr Albarengo's healthy appearance is raising questions about the validity of his claims.

Although there have been many drifting survivors over the years, none have ever been found in as such good health as Mr Albarengo.

Pacific lecturer Dr Teresia Teaiwa says the northern Pacific is particularly hot, dry and inhospitable.

"In a case where someone has been drifting for over a year, thirteen months, you'd expect they would be in pretty poor condition," she says.

Mr Albarengo has been able to tell authorities a little about his ordeal which he says began in December 2012 when he left Mexico for a one day fishing trip with a 15-year-old boy.

He says he the engines on his seven metre boat failed causing his boat to drift out across the pacific eventually reaching the Marshall Islands.

He says the boy died four months into the ordeal.

Mr Albarengo remains in Majuro hospital having tests.

I see on other forums people are rubbishing this guys story. I wouldn't be so hasty, we had our own sceptics including the media after the Rose-Noelle story here who had to eat humble pie.

They say an open boat, I would think a 7 metre fishing boat would have some cabin or shelter. Also no fishing gear? they were going fishing! maybe lost long ago but at least a start until hull growth happened. I am at least trying to keep an open mind!

" He used his hands to lure sharks to the boat" and he still has all his fingers??

Did he keep the boy alive so that the meat stayed fresh??

If he wasn't adrift, then where the hell has he been??

" He used his hands to lure sharks to the boat" and he still has all his fingers??

Did he keep the boy alive so that the meat stayed fresh??

If he wasn't adrift, then where the hell has he been??

No...he used the BOYS hands!!...(and other parts??)

Archived