2014 SSANZ RNI Leg 2

Cameron

Wow corporate jet photos fantastic sailing great dicing everything is great well done everyone

the speed is coming up now in the straits and the finish sooner than later But you will need to be up early in the morning and I think I will be up ooh aw predict wind has stopped showing up for the straits and just as passing speed is showing Damn I haven't got time for virtual game but do they have the wind showing up ?? Little hiccup so the brain is putting various scenarios and its all great!!! Cheers

Hmm - from Yellow Brick tracker at 3pm today Blink is doing 12 knots with 104.7 nm to go. Something tells me we may not get much sleep tonight in Welly...!

Where is finish line in Wellington. ? Quite keen on heading down for a look.

Finish line is straight in front of the RPNYC clubrooms. Boats will be in Chaffers room permitting.

Whats the quickest time for this leg in in the race history? Looks like these guys will have the hammer down from here on in. Great races going on throughout the fleet. Me sees very larg hangovers on way in Wellytown!!

great coverage Cameron and team, people at work are looking at me strangely following these funny little coloured things...

Its going to be all on now... Bushido might have the legs on Blink at the moment, maybe its time to get the big gear out boys! I expect Overload, Truxton and Pepe to start showing some speed once they get past Cape Egmont too.

Quick report from the Marshall while I have cell phone coverage.

Currently abeam New Plymouth and leading Div 3 but Skins and the Submarine are only 10 nm behind and will be out for vengeance for leg one. We can feel them breathing down our necks!!

Slow start and we went wide out into the bay looking for breeze. Almost led the fleet but tacked over too soon. Good race up to North cape and rounded with Truxton, Coppelia, Django. Very close. We went out quite a way west to avoid the soft stuff that was predicted inshore and to get the Westerly first. Paid dividends as we are currently pacing it with Wedgetail, way above our fighting weight. Long way to go yet and this could all change but currently on #2 jib, full main and 9-10 knots. Westerly 20knots.. Fast trip, and both of us really tired.

Great to have a crew who knows a lot more than me. Learning heaps. Will try and get photos next post.

Cheers, Smithy.

Pics. Briefly:

Gavin steering with code zero shortly after start.

Django at North Cape.

Gav grabbing 5 mn kip on sails with MH Genniker up.

Happy Owner!!.

Bacon Butties for breakfast at 45 degrees....

Cheers, Smithy.

IMG_3410.JPG

IMG_3428.JPG

IMG_3436.JPG

IMG_3439.JPG

IMG_3440.JPG

Think you're right Cam, the weather didn't pan out as what I saw suggested. Shame as it may have given CC a chance to pull back some miles.

Smithy would have to be happy at the moment. For some reason he didn't seem to rate his chances that high but so far the Marshall's been doing well.

I wanna see Pepe lite up. Knot quite her ideal conditions so far but given a chance I think she'll spark up real well.

How you getting that weather on screen?

Smithy is very happy. Finally learning what makes the Marshall tick. Go low and fast!! :D :D :D :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for all your help with prep KM. All your ropes still in one piece! :D Need a new 3/4 halyard though. Old one nearly chaffed through. Replaced it with old main halyard. Also running repairs when turning block pulled out of deck... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

IMG_3415.JPG

just for Zen, the milk truck was caught with the kite up buy a 30knot rain squall - pitch black, big f-up, it was wrap, no damage just a long time to get sorted running with it.

boats not liking the light choppy stuff, just stops it

Gee the Blink and Bushido have really opened up since getting into the breeze. Marshall Law is doing really well! and Im always impressed by what Coppelia manages to do with a Farr38. Now I have 3years to win lotto or rob a bank buy Omega ex Time to Burn and have a go myself!

Let me be the first to congratulate Bushido on a superb leg! Well Sailed Guys!!! Looks like you have abt 20 mins to the finish line.

Close leg with Blink, but you got them in the end.

Archived