2014 SSANZ RNI Leg 2

Cameron

I would like to lodge a formal protest that this leg has not taken enough time, the boats haven't taken enough of a beating, they are finishing to close together and everyone got to go down wind. Please have the leg thrown out of the race.

in other words - I am so dam jealous that I'm not doing this one!

I'll support that protest!

Me too and I'll bring firearms to make sure its upheld :)

Ahhh... still no YB.

Don't suppose someone wants to post a list of the finishing order to date to they? Go on we know you want too.

Probably an hour out of date but :

Bushido 02 11:33:27

Blink 02 12:43:34

Focus 03 00:03:38

Fiction 03 00:08:04

Overload 03 00:14:05

Wedgetail 03 00:51:39

Django 03 01:00:05

Truxton 03 01:02:22

Marshall Law 03 01:02:36

Laissez Faire II 03 01:05:58

Gale Force 03 01:44:37

White Gold 03 02:29:05

Notorious 03 02:32:50

Pepe 03 03:11:44

Coppelia 03 03:27:29

Midnight Express 03 04:08:56

9pm YB update for those with no YB:

Montego Bay 3 days 7h 5m 51s

Berenice 3 days 7h 57m 42s

Assassin speed 7.6kn 32.3nm to finish

Duty Free speed 6.7kn 32.7nm to finish

Wandering Star speed 6.3kn 42.7nm to finish

Cool Change speed 7.6kn 83.3nm to finish

Just waiting for Cool Change now, less than 15nm to go

The fleet is in good shape with only minor damage reported.

Yachts reporting large seas entering Cook Straight with Montego Bay 3 suffering a knockdown

Lots of them arriving with the house work not done, so a tidy up today followed by craft beer tour and leg 2 prize giving Saturday.

Leg 3 will start at 1700hrs Sunday the 16th Febuary 2014

Sorry but... one hour updates is not that great.

We are seeing (well not seeing) a poor reflection of the races tight finishes and their tracks as the approach the finish.

the 60 mins between updates (as seen by tracks over land) does not allow the plebs to see the tack options taken around headlands and also makes it hard/impossible to see te last hour of te race ad the close finishes.

its a bit like having a 5 minute add break in the last 7 MINS OF f1

We are seeing (well not seeing) a poor reflection of the races tight finishes and their tracks as the approach the finish.

the 60 mins between updates (as seen by tracks over land) does not allow the plebs to see the tack options taken around headlands and also makes it hard/impossible to see te last hour of te race ad the close finishes.

YAWN... has someone got the record stuck again...

Can we keep this crap out of the race thread, focus on the race and take the whining somewhere else?

Looks like an awesome race this year, wish I was back in Welly to see the boats coming in... Awesome to have so many boats and so many close finishes!

Best refer to Cameron's post.

You seem to think we're doing this for your benefit. That's not the case.

SailorX you can solve your problem. Ring SSANZ and offer sponsorship money for the next event that would cover the cost of the coverage you want (and the staff necessary to keep it working). They would even put your name on it.

agreed, or as I previously mentioned, join the ssanz committee and try and do a better job next time. Quit complaining, stop being a hater and whinging about what we haven't got, look at it from the other way i.e. what the ssanz committee has put together (and remembering they have volunteered their time for all of this) and its awesome. lets be a bit thankful instead eh.

yyyyaaaawwwwnnnnn.... same people moaning about my post!

can we start another thread for all this moaning :D

I am not denying the tracker is good.

sure the batteries need to last the whole race (OR MABE THEY COULD BE CHANGED AFTER EACH LEG?)

But sorry (again) but having watched the Sydney Hobart tracker I just thought (FOR THE MOENY PAID) THIS COULD BE BETTER?

oh fork... where's my gun... BANG :crazy: :lol:

But sorry (again) but having watched the Sydney Hobart tracker I just thought (FOR THE MOENY PAID) THIS COULD BE BETTER?

I guess the difference is that I know how much money was paid.

yyyyaaaawwwwnnnnn.... same people moaning about my post!

can we start another thread for all this moaning :D

I am not denying the tracker is good.

sure the batteries need to last the whole race (OR MABE THEY COULD BE CHANGED AFTER EACH LEG?)

oh fork... where's my gun... BANG :crazy: :lol:

Here is a new person over all your moaning, I thnk you need to realise that the Sydney hobart is sponsored by ROLEX and is probably a million dollar+ event with paid staff.

This is awsome viewing for spectators from when my dad did this race over 10 years ago and we only got 2x skeds a day!

OK Leg 2.. We got off to a rocket start out of Doubtless bay. Started on the committee boat and tacked off out to sea with the code zero asap.. We kept going out while the fleet sailed into the bay and were looking amazing at one stage. We were all powered up and the fleet behind us looked pretty dead in the water. We got nervous though and tacked back to join the fleet and ended up around mid fleet. If we would have waited another half hour we probably would have had a glamour board and crossed the fleet, but oh well.

We did OK up to North cape and rounded in close company with Truxton, Django and Coppelia close behind. From there it was just cracked sheets across the top of the North island, then hard on the wind after we got past Cape Rienga. Our plan was to go hard west all night then tack over once well clear of the coast. The weather grib files had said that the westerly would be strong out to sea, and possibly a bit light in close. After a long hard night bashing out to sea in company with one of the Elliot tourers (Friction or Focus), we tacked off and the wind started to ease, so we switched from jib to jib top. We continued with the jib top down to Taranaki and off New Plymouth got cell phone reception so we could run the Yellowbrick tracker. Wow! Leading our division by a substantial amount!! Offshore certainly paid!!

As our third night fell (under a supurb moon!) the wind increased and we were getting some nice surfs to around 14 knots. The wind continued to build and we were getting a solid 30 knots over the decks. I took over from Gavin who warned me about the Marshall spinning out, and at first all was well, but as the wind continued to build I had one too many spin outs and we sat of our side with the sails flapping, gav got out of his bunk and said "2 reefs NOW" I argued the toss for a bit, but he was right, and after the reefs she was much more controllable. Just as well we made that move as the wind increased to 35 knots with a peak that we saw of 37.. Poor Jib top! Not made for that (And is currently in at Norths getting the leach re-cut...). So we continued to make good progress with Gavin claim top surf at 18 knots.. Behind us Pepe were sending at at 25 knots plus, as were Skins and Shane in the grey Submarine (Truxton). As we approached Cook Strait we were still 7 miles ahead of Truxton and confident of a class win.

Nek minute..... Cook Strait. Always blows right? Not for us. Parking lot. Flat calm. Nothing, Nada, zip.. From seeing no boats behind us we watched Truxton and co come hoofing down to us and our lead evaporate. Truxton and Django eased past us and the three of us, in company with Wedgetail (another casualty of the parking lot) reached along the bottom of the island working hard for that class win... We turned the corner into Wellington Harbour and 30 odd knots on the nose.

Skins must have been getting nervous as the Marshall rapidly ate into their slender lead. We tacked up the harbour and split tacks just before point Halswell. When we came back we were within 2 boat lengths of Truxton and it was game on!! We tacked back to clear Point Halswell and bang. Slam dunk from Truxton.. With their dirty air coming down on us, there was no way we would clear so we tacked again, and they followed. Another tack saw us clear the point and then it was eased sheets where Truxton is strong.. Skins was pushing as hard as he could and had Shane hiking out under the lifelines like it was a harbour race. We kept close but they got us by 12 seconds.. Another close race between the cowboys and the submariners. Top stuff!!

What a cool race this is. After crossing the line, the delightful Chelsea came on board and steered the boat into the marina while we tidied up. Such great organisation and friendly welcome, it really makes the whole package so enjoyable..

After a tidy up Gav and I got our heads down, and 15 minutes later I was woken by a call from John Kirkman (Shane's Dad) who said he was at the club with a bottle of rum.. What's a tired skipper to do?? It got a bit messy after that, but I slept well! :-)

Bring on leg 3!!!!

Archived