8.5 - 2014 Nationals Meeting - Swashies Thursday 20th Feb

Clive

I'm guessing the lads from Attitude won't be terribly impressed with that ranking either. Ken, You are coming out for a race tomorrow? If so it should start to answer a few questions about whether the new "heavy hard tramps" make you slower or they are actually "an enhanced aero package" and we all better watch out for the Voom...

Close race last night dean, 5 seconds in it. Must have done both our handcaps well to be an hour behind Tigre and Borderline... :D

Not sure the "enhanced aero package" helped last night, but i suspect having a lighweight crew of only 2 people made a big dfifference.

Gonzo - what happened - you were nearly there?

It was an epic struggle, and I think produced some good very data for the handicapper(s): Voom and HLH should basically be on the same handicap and Tigre and Boarderline should give us approx 30 min for every hour they race.

Attitude got to within 10m of the finish line then started reversing back towards us and gave up in disgust at that point. If you guys hadn't been sitting beside us I think we would have pulled the pin too - we also had beer on board which helped pass the time ...

It was an epic struggle, and I think produced some good very data for the handicapper(s): Voom and HLH should basically be on the same handicap and Tigre and Boarderline should give us approx 30 min for every hour they race.

:thumbup: yea right! :D

We only just managed to get away from that hole and saw the rest of the fleet dead in the water only a few meters behind us.

Attitude got to within 10m of the finish line then started reversing back towards us and gave up in disgust at that point. If you guys hadn't been sitting beside us I think we would have pulled the pin too - we also had beer on board which helped pass the time ...

We had no beer....

Based on that, we should get 20min on you guys!

Its a shame that Richmond didn't have the finish boat at Reso like they often do.

I can see the sandbagging has started..

Ha – similar sentiments were expressed onboard our boat last night!

Bit of an exercise in frustration – we must have been within a boat length of the finish line as what wind there was died completely and we started going backwards in the tide. 40 minutes later with a mutiny pending I decided to pull the pin!

On a serious note – I’m a bit peeved with the race committee. I’ll pre empt this by saying theirs is a thankless task and 99% of the time I think the RYC do a smashing job. However, not finishing the race at Resolution last night was a poor call with an obvious dying breeze and a strong outgoing tide. What was a very good race up to that point (despite some suggestion of sand bagging) turned into somewhat of a bloody lottery…

Special mention also goes to the guys on the keelboat Squid Vicious also who thought luffing a catamaran in a light air race, across a streaming tide was a good idea. What is the point? All that produced was lost time for both boats in their respective divisions. Needless to say Keelboat and Multihull relations took a dive.

I think the problem with stopping the race at Richmond was that Foiled and Co had already gone past an hour earlier so the option wasn't there for them.

Speaking of foiled - part of my excuse for our shithouse OCS start was I was distracted by them porpoising about - it's quite alarming when the boat in front suddenly rears a meter or so out of the water for no reason and splashes back down again - I guess we'll get used to it.

Re Us giving Freedom 20 mins - well that's just crazy talk :-).

Good point Dean, out of the race committee's hands I guess.

I also had a moment when foiled reared up in the start box! Thought we were going to witness a cat mounting a cat ala the extreme 40's for a second :shock:

that is the first wednesday night race in voom in 2 years. We had no idea on the start timing or even location, just followed people across.

Lazy question - do they use sound signals at richmond? I had the SI in my pocket, but didn't have time to read them...

Confirmed

Attitude

Borderline

Dirty Deeds

Hurts Like Heaven

Putiki Express - Or New foiling F82

Tigre

Voom

Whio

TBC

Capricorn

Freedom

Hooters

Stealth Mission

Anyone know what happened to Ocean Pacific or Rental?

The term 'sandbagging' did come to mind. :D

Bit of luck on the shifts, driven from a desire to dodge the leaners feeding us sh*t air. But for a crew of newbies (EricE and Scubash) things went pretty well for us last night.

Althought, just checked the results and see you beat us on hcap clive. That surprised me a bit. :wtf:

The aero package is great for sailing, but it turns out it is very firm to sleep on, and we need a new squab.

current entry list:

Division 8.5 Multihull

Attitude

Borderline

Dirty Deeds

Freedom

Hurts Like Heaven

Sledge

Tigre

Voom

Where is whio and pussy cat? That wil make 10 - anyone else out who is a maybe?

Archived