28 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite new outboard

• Tohatsu
    • Honda
    • Suzuki
    • Yamaha
    • Mercury
    • Other- There are others?

This is a little bit hypothetical but also pertinent.

If you were buying a new outboard and you could have your pick, which would you choose?

Specs are for 15-20 hp, Longshaft. Preferably electric start but not a deal breaker.

Looking for experiences with reliability, fuel efficiency, weight...

I see that most 15hp new are the same weight as their 20hp bigger brothers... any hidden drawbacks form having a 20hp as your auxiliary if it weighs the same?

Depends. 15 HP Merc, 2 stroke is the lightest of all, by a lot (32 or 36 kg can't remember which), but that's without electric start (Can get electric start as well). That is the US model, NOT the Tohatsu one. It has the gearshift incorporated into the twist grip throttle. Great Motor!!

An engine- have you got the power endorsement on your sailing license?

is that the 2>4.5hp license power endorsement or the 3>9.2hp one, think I have both current and tucked away under the compulsory harness, lifejacket with strobe and whistle needed to get to the mooring

Its a good question and one that I have mulled over for the last six months, as an owner of three Hondas I was leaning towards their 20hp as the lightest (very important for me). Or in 2 stroke a Yamaha as they are common as and compact, this was till I checked out Suzukis latest offerings-- the lightest two stroke 15hp, and now the lightest four stroke 20hp fuel injected. So last week I purchased the Suzuki 20 4 stroke, couldn't be happier :thumbup: It just purrs (noise and economy also V important for me). Good luck with your search, bear in mind that there will not be many making two strokes in a few years, and don't bother with Chinese if you are like me and expect your outboards to last.

I'm in the Suzuki camp, the lightest long shaft 4 stroke 15hp around; quiet and light on the fuel is a pretty good combo for a yacht. Mine has been bullet proof too, so there will be no going back to the dark old ages of 2 stroke for me!

Yamaha is usually the default answer, although in the past they have had a shocking reputation for corrosion. WT came with a 1999 mercury in the outboard well and it's been unbelievably reliable and durable even with the miserable life it leads. Never washed, never flushed. 100% reliable even after some 18hr+ motor delivery trips to the BOI and Tauranga etc. And it still looks good.

Then when you look around all the engines applications that get a hard life ie surf clubs, race engines etc, it's all mercury. So my vote goes to Merc, just based on my great experiences with their gear.

I'm sussing a new one for my rebuild. The Yammy 9.9 high thrust 4 stroke is way old (94 it was suggested) and been 100% neglected yet when running it's faultless. So that's counts highly bar the fact it's large so toying with a 4 stroke 8hp. I'm leaning Merc purely due to size but that may change in the next few weeks. 4 stroke is a no brainer though. I sometimes swap to a 2 stroke Johnson 8hp as it's a lot lighter but it uses around 5lts to cover the same ground the Yammy uses only 1lt. Also way quieter, smoother and all that.

That 'high thrust' bit the Yammys have is magnificent. When that's on I've yet to find any conditions that will slow the boat to less than 5 kts, it just has so much push. The 2 stroke on the other hand gets us from 0 to 6 knots in around 15 mins and an emergency stop takes close on 3 miles :)

An engine- have you got the power endorsement on your sailing license?

is that the 2>4.5hp license power endorsement or the 3>9.2hp one, think I have both current and tucked away under the compulsory harness, lifejacket with strobe and whistle needed to get to the mooring

Laugh you may but Dave is quite right. Over here one needs a “D-schein” (D-permit) to operate a vessel with more than 15m of sail, and that permit must be endorsed for motors if you want to use a motor over 6hp…

There are ways around it however if you’re on a foreign registered pleasure vessel in an international waterway…

I did a bit of digging and found that the Honda 15hp is available in extra long... 25" shaft...

We're looking to push a 5 tonne boat up a river against the current here (2-3 knts). I'm not sure 9hp will cut it, although I like the weight advantages...

Ideally the motor will be transom mounted for max hull integrity but we loose a lot on effective drive :(

.....I didn't see seagull???..... :cry:

Don't do it to yourself.

Unless you own a mullet boat and smoke a pipe you have no business owning a seagull.

I can take any seagull you may have and dispose of it safely.

I had a Sail outboard, 15 hp 4 stroke, for 12 months onboard my cat Pulse. A huge list of things that were wrong with it.

Basically it never went. The carburettor kept clogging up. I got good at stripping a carb at sea. Not easy.

I lost the case in the Small Claims court. The dealer blamed the fuel tank being higher than the motor. Amazing...

If you are going to get a alternative brand on a sports boat or multihull, supply photos and/or plans in writing to the dealer, and insist on having the line, in writing, that the motor is fit for purpose for your yacht.

Or steer clear.

I'm back to a nice Honda 4 stroke...

I have been doing a bit of work for a business that does Warranty work for Supercheap. They fix their Gensets, Compressors and Waterblasters. We are allowed to spend a total of 10mins on a unit. If it is not simpler than that, it gets tossed. The reason why?? Well for example, the little compressor that they are selling for $139.00 on special at the mo is bought by Supercheap for a total of ????? Go on, guess. I bet you won't get it.

Archived