2014 SSANZ RNI Leg 3

Cameron

When does the next leg start? Will be a tough ask for everyone especially the guys still out there, and more Northerlies by the looks of things..

Good fight going on the leaderboard, so will make last leg very interesting.

I wondering if for the first time ever we'll see a staggered start: 1 to get the bulk of the fleet moving and 2. to make sure the tailenders get the 48 hours they must do in Napier. The trouble is that it makes it even harder for the SSANZ guys at the finish as the slower boats will double the wait. Interesting to see what Jon decides as its nice to get everyone in by Sunday normally. That obviously won't be happening this time. At best we'll see CC in late tonight. That means a late Friday start or even Saturday morning. Maybe Jon will wait till Saturday for the whole fleet. Nice few days off for the Blinks of the world.

Well done to the guys on Marshall Law - that was an inspired move to go out wide and it paid off. Also a huge congratulations to all the competitors to what turned out to be an epic leg - bits of everything I hear - lots of carparking then lots of breeze and back to carparking again.

Well done also to Blink. I had the privilege of being on the committee boat to take some photos of the beautiful Napier morning that saw them into the finish line. Huge thanks to SSANZ - you are all awesome.

Thanks also to Napier Sailing Club for taking the rib out to see the boys sail to the finish line (see: http://www.blinksail.blogspot.co.nz).

So the only questions that remain are how many times will the rum jugs be stacked to the ceiling tonight and how many times the leg trophy will be refilled by dodgy buggers trying to gain an advantage on the next leg??

Had a really long park at Bare Island-about 8-9 hours but once the breeze filled in we got going OK. Being becalmed require great personal control! The stretch from Palliser Light to Castlepoint was wet and windy. Carried a double reef and storm jib for a number of hours. Our best run to date was from just north of New Plymouth to Karori Light. Lucky there was plenty of breeze as we couldn't get rid of the double reef because the main halyard had jammed in the she eve. We got sail down one night in a squall and that was it. Grunter fixed the problem in Wellington by changing to a 2:1 halyard to unload the top batten pressure a bit. Seems to have worked to date. The race is a long beat, most of the time anyway, and the slamming and crashing certainly slows the boat. Josh thinks we should leave Sunday at this stage - predicted tailwinds all the way but I don't think Jon is consulting with us on a start time so tomorrow it will be.

It can be. Reading the posts on the other legs is interesting. I didn't realise that we had such a pool of knowledgeable off-shore ready sailors in Auckland. Shame they're not racing. Of course boats are doing different things-the weather does and the wind you have in the here and now is what you work with. Mostly we don't see other boats!

Thanks for all the kind words peoples.. Much appreciated! :D :D :D :D

Just got back from the Wine trail.. Hic! I will try and get a report together tonight. 11.00am start Friday at the moment but the forecast looks rubbish with headwinds following us around East Cape. Sat start would be much nicer!! I'll keep you posted.

Archived