Pepe. 20-48-50

Berenice. 23-58-22

Midnight Express 00-00-32

Montego Bay 3. 00-15-29

Cool Change. 01-29-17

Duty Free. 04-35-53

Assassin. 08-02-55

Wanderingstar. Should be finished before noon

i assume wandering star has now finished....saw them go past rangi a while back.

so well done to all the boats for everyone getting around in 1 piece and the people at ssanz for another great event.

only thing that could of made it bette....... is me competing instead of being here in the office.

lets see if i have finished this house in 3 years and still have a boat to compete in 2017.

looking forward to all the stories.

Yes, fantastic effort from all the REAL workers at SSANZ (I was just a hanger on) and terrific result to see all the boats finish. I would dearly love to see a Mangonui division which sees off all the real men (and women) and then races home. But I'm not sure that the committee will agree. Sitting on the finish boat in Doubtless Bay I was fairly aching to have been racing there instead. But after a few laps already I'm not keen on the whole race again.

Jon and Cam and Geoff from Welly need a bloody good pat on the back. But I know they don't do it for that reason.

jeez must have had a few cups of soup before they got that on film.

well done ssanz again for an awesome race.

This years race was so close and most boats looking for a result not just a finish made for lots of tense moments and great racing.

Great to see the whole fleet make it through with very little damage and no one retire.

Thanks Jon henry for providing the venue for the rum frenzy after the finish and doing such a good job as RO.

Hopefully oneday I'll get to round east cape without beating straight into the wind the whole way round.

Race highlight this time the 6 boats duking it out at cook straight after 500miles to finish minutes apart.

Seeing whales/ dophins and lots of marine life all round the coast was cool.

Who won the fishing division? Sounds like lots of tuna were caught along the way.

I dont know what the other boats caught but our tally on Pepe of landed fish was-

Skipjack tuna x 3

Albacore tuna x 8

Kingi x 2 (not quite legal size)

Kawhai x 1

There were plenty of stories of the ones that go away but to be honest most of the ones that got away we would not have gotten to the boat anyway as you just cant slow it down enough.

P1020419 - Copy.JPG

P1020376 - Copy.JPG

Ahhh. Back in the land of the living... Well, leg 4 didn't exactly go to plan.. The 2 big tacks out to sea out of Napier really killed us, and that was the race done and dusted right there. We lost about 25 to 30 miles by the time we reached East Cape. We turned early and went for pace across Bay of Plenty and passed Notorious and Pepe, but then the boom (Fully re-built and re-sleeved 2 years ago...) went in about 35 knots and we sailed under trysail for a while which was a bit slow.

Gav then had the brainwave to loose foot the main from the second reef and that gave us a bit of speed. We couldn't catch Notorious, and Pepe caught us up in a 5 hour drift off outside Waiheke.. Frustrating!! We could smell the rum!!

We ended up match racing Pepe downwind around the North of Rangi VMGing it with the Genniker up and held them off at the finish. Notorious got good breeze down Motohihi channel and beat us in by an hour or so.

What a great race! The effort that Jon, Cam and Geoff put in is outstanding, and a big clap to them. Thanks heaps! The Marshall will be back for sure.. To come in and have all your sails folded, a beer handed to you and a roast waiting on Jon's boat was outstanding. The next 6 hours were pretty rum fuelled and Skins was in fine form having quite a few hours head start on us..

Have a listen to Skins in his video. What a crack up. We won 2 legs on line and PHRF, and all that saved him from a very red face on leg 2 was a Cook Strait park up.. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Brilliant having a Feisty competitor like him though, and knowing he would be giving it heaps every second kept us going.. Highlight? Watching Skins making Shane hike like a harbour racer just ahead of us after match racing right up Welly harbour. He beat us by 14 secs but it was a blast and they sailed the big grey sub to perfection.. :clap: :clap:

Come on Skins, come back for another round!! :D :D :D

As Shaw crew, we just want to send a massive thank you to the SSANZ team for organising such a fantastic event.

If you haven't participated in the two handed RNI before, you may not be aware of the enormous commitment from the SSANZ team giving up their personal time, work, family to follow the fleet, start them on time, lay the finishing marks in every port, be there for boats that all finish at different times over about a 36 hour or more period, come out and help the fleet pack up, organise marina berths/parking and be there to update the website, results, support the crew, organising fun events at the ports and I guess help a little bit with the consuming of some fine beverages and punishingly cold beers.

Jon, Cam, Steve, Dave, Geoff (RPNYC 'El Commodore') and everyone else involved and whom we have met, you are all fantastic and thank you so much for letting us hang out on your boats, for cooking roasts and providing fine beverages, take us out on committee boats and being genuinely nice, ethical, honest people who love sailing. SSANZ is a credit to the people it has and you all support the spirit of yachting far beyond all expectations with resounding fairness, and a willingness to continue the spirit of this great race and its ethos all started by a great man, Sir Peter Blake.

Well done for a spectacularly organised event from the Blink Team.

Thanks to SSANZ, Jon ,Cam Geoff in Wellington Red in Napier and all the many more in the background that put this together. This is by far the most challenging but rewarding yachting event i have done. If you are considering doing this do everything you can to be at the next start line. Congratulations to Expedition Coppelia, Truxton and Midnight express for being tough competitors. The description of this race by Skins on video is the funniest, accurate concise review of the race . The down wind ride from Egmont to cook straight full moon and good swells was amazing. Best of my 40 years of sailing. I wish I had Skins way with words.

Thanks again everyone

Craig

Gale Force

As Shaw crew, we just want to send a massive thank you to the SSANZ team for organising such a fantastic event.

If you haven't participated in the two handed RNI before, you may not be aware of the enormous commitment from the SSANZ team giving up their personal time, work, family to follow the fleet, start them on time, lay the finishing marks in every port, be there for boats that all finish at different times over about a 36 hour or more period, come out and help the fleet pack up, organise marina berths/parking and be there to update the website, results, support the crew, organising fun events at the ports and I guess help a little bit with the consuming of some fine beverages and punishingly cold beers.

Jon, Cam, Steve, Dave, Geoff (RPNYC 'El Commodore') and everyone else involved and whom we have met, you are all fantastic and thank you so much for letting us hang out on your boats, for cooking roasts and providing fine beverages, take us out on committee boats and being genuinely nice, ethical, honest people who love sailing. SSANZ is a credit to the people it has and you all support the spirit of yachting far beyond all expectations with resounding fairness, and a willingness to continue the spirit of this great race and its ethos all started by a great man, Sir Peter Blake.

Well done for a spectacularly organised event from the Blink Team.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Smithy

Can we publish some video of the Marshall's celebration antic's in Napier? It's as entertaining as the Skinner vid!

...please???

Haven't seen it yet, show me and I'll let you know!! If it's the one when we just got off the boat, no worries!! :D If it's the one on the back of Notorious I'd like to have a look first!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: That was a pretty rum fuelled session!!

To all of the SSANZ committee, but to John and Cameron in particular, thank you for organising such a great event. It was everything that I had hoped for and more than I expected. To Steve N, Cameron and Steve A thanks for being around at the end to help with entry to the marinas. To fellow competitors thanks for the camaraderie and encouragement. This has been a mammoth undertaking for all who have had to prepare and equip their boats for the race. Grant Jenkins, Kiwi Rigging, gave me amazing support, checking and caring for our rig at every stop-over. The week before the start he saw our boom with the sail off and commented that it wouldn’t last the distance. He fixed it so it did. It’s amazing the confidence that sort of support engenders and I never once doubted the integrity of the rig. The sails that Josh and the team at Norths built for the race were amazing and looked as good at the finish as they did at the start. None of the new work ie; the ring frame or floor strengthening that Alex completed showed any sign of stress with the only damage being a split on the starboard side of the main bulk head. Probably just a hard landing. We started as a dry boat and finished as a wet one as the windows, fore hatch and stanchions started to weep. Duck tape fixed some of them. If there had been a fifth leg we would have had our work cut out. On the last leg I slept in my wet weather gear with the hood up in the quarter berth.

What did I discover? I have never been really tired in my life-until now; ear plugs work; don’t store boil in the bag rice under bunks- it stinks when it gets wet; boats out last the crew; the caravan type galley set-up in small boats is totally impractical in any sort of seaway- everything is best done sitting down; the jet boil is a wet sailors best friend; and no matter where I am I hear my wife’s voice – that’s hallucination at its best; it only takes a short spell of fine weather and fair breeze to make one forget that that has just been.

The last leg was our best. We got a good forecast and stuck to the best track for us. It was rough most of the way but the end was in sight so it didn’t seem to matter. We lost the breeze for a short while just north of Rangi and were ‘headed’ all the way from there. No matter a warm bed was on my mind. No clean-up – just home. As usual our biggest fans – family and friends, were there to witness our triumphant return. Job done.

A great event, superbly organised by a dedicated group of passionate sailors.

To all of the SSANZ committee, but to John and Cameron in particular, thank you for organising such a great event. It was everything that I had hoped for and more than I expected. To Steve N, Cameron and Steve A thanks for being around at the end to help with entry to the marinas. To fellow competitors thanks for the camaraderie and encouragement. This has been a mammoth undertaking for all who have had to prepare and equip their boats for the race. Grant Jenkins, Kiwi Rigging, gave me amazing support, checking and caring for our rig at every stop-over. The week before the start he saw our boom with the sail off and commented that it wouldn’t last the distance. He fixed it so it did. It’s amazing the confidence that sort of support engenders and I never once doubted the integrity of the rig. The sails that Josh and the team at Norths built for the race were amazing and looked as good at the finish as they did at the start. None of the new work ie; the ring frame or floor strengthening that Alex completed showed any sign of stress with the only damage being a split on the starboard side of the main bulk head. Probably just a hard landing. We started as a dry boat and finished as a wet one as the windows, fore hatch and stanchions started to weep. Duck tape fixed some of them. If there had been a fifth leg we would have had our work cut out. On the last leg I slept in my wet weather gear with the hood up in the quarter berth.

What did I discover? I have never been really tired in my life-until now; ear plugs work; don’t store boil in the bag rice under bunks- it stinks when it gets wet; boats out last the crew; the caravan type galley set-up in small boats is totally impractical in any sort of seaway- everything is best done sitting down; the jet boil is a wet sailors best friend; and no matter where I am I hear my wife’s voice – that’s hallucination at its best; it only takes a short spell of fine weather and fair breeze to make one forget that that has just been.

The last leg was our best. We got a good forecast and stuck to the best track for us. It was rough most of the way but the end was in sight so it didn’t seem to matter. We lost the breeze for a short while just north of Rangi and were ‘headed’ all the way from there. No matter a warm bed was on my mind. No clean-up – just home. As usual our biggest fans – family and friends, were there to witness our triumphant return. Job done.

A great event, superbly organised by a dedicated group of passionate sailors.

Well done Richard!

Archived