What's happened to all the Ross 930’s

There doesn’t seem to be too many racing any more, is it simply that some have been pimped & others not?

What are the mod’s have been done & has it made that much of a difference to performance.

They look like a cost effective alternative to an 88, but not if there is nothing to race against!

The Website looks well out of date, or is it that the last nationals were held in 2005?

Can't believe no-one has jumped at the Zgy - fantastic value at less than $20k if you are into a one-off (which is what the pimped/turboed boats are evolving into) with heaps of sails.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 107413.htm

Otherwise the pricing of the 88s - fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your perspective - reflects the work that has gone into administering them as a one-design.

Only 3 responses, that's a tad surprising.

There doesn’t seem to be too many racing any more, is it simply that some have been pimped & others not?
Lots are still racing (5 of the 14 boats in last weeks Simrad sporty fleet were 930's, 4, I think, each week in Welly and a similar number in the Nelson area, pardon my geographical ignorance) but some are turboed and some knot. Also many seem to never leave the Akl inner harbour racing where a couple never venture into it if at all possible. Also there are a few 930's who are the 2nd boat i.e they have a big cruiser for lounging and a 930 for racing or doing more than 6kts.
What are the mod’s have been done & has it made that much of a difference to performance.
Mostly changed to longer keels with bulbs. Some use masthead kites and/or gennies. The turbos are faster for sure, as are the standards that use masthead gear, which all but 1 or 2 now have. One maybe 2 of the fully turboed up's even have carbon rigs now.
They look like a cost effective alternative to an 88, but not if there is nothing to race against!
You do get more boat for the buck with a 930 but there isn't any strong class racing like the 88's. Sometimes we all play together but knot often due to some, as I'm lead to believe, Std Verse Turbo politics. Knot sure what that's all about and don't wanna be. Also the 88's have better cockpits if you cruise a lot, mind you Animal Farms tweak has her cockpit looking very good and very much just like a 88. Some will say the 88 inboard verses the 930 outboard in wells is better but that's personal choice I suppose. With my outboard if it plays up I take it and get it sorted and don't have to get someone to the boat. And even with my 9.9hp I'll easily clean up any 88 under motor even in rough weather. With a 9.9 if you are doing 5kts it means your probably pushing into 50kts with big lumps. One or 2 930's have fitted inboards which hasn't slowed them down.

The 88's are a bit wider at the gunwale but then lose a little interior space to the motors and associated bits. Inside room wise there's nothing in it bar a slight difference in the way it's spread around. I think (?) a 930 is taller inside by a smidgen.

A Std 88 is generally a smidgen quicker around a track than a Std 930 (so I'm told) mainly due to having headsails larger than a hanky possibly but I think a Turbo 930 is way faster than a 88. The 88 top end performance range does seem to be a little wider than a 930's so a std 930 will take a 88 in some conditions and crew states. Or so I'm told, I haven't really played next to 88's in equal fully grunted conditions/crew state. I'm sure that comment will be corrected if required by a few annoying bastards ;) :lol: :lol:

I have played shorthanded next to a turbo 88 and after 4 hours there was 1/2 a boat length in it on the finishline. Only one race though, which was a bloody ripper I must add. Hard to take too much from that though I suppose. Hopefully we'll play together again again in that series next year and get a better idea.

A 930 owner/driver can still win a 930 Nats and the 930's only have 1 Nats :twisted: :wink:

The Website looks well out of date, or is it that the last nationals were held in 2005?
Just out of date. No Nats last years as we weren't allowed to use the harbour due to some rich pricks in 2 AC boats. There were Nats the previous year. Must do something about that site now you mention it. The reigning Class Champ is Scarlett Fever who took it off Rockweld (in the protest room due to a incident in the last leg of the last race, bugger) who held it for a couple of years.

If what's happening now does, by Xmas the Class will be reborn but in a Turbo manner. There will be a nice fleet all turboed the same....... at long bloody last!!!! A couple more are set to follow that 'turbo design' I've been told so that fleet should grow more.

The Std boats are for people who like to wind up people with Turbos, Y88's, sometimes Y11's, YNZ, ACC and hate painting. I'm also lead to believe due to the slower nature of the Std's their crews have higher alcohol related issues :twisted: :lol:

If you want hard out boat on boat class racing a 88 is the call, if knot save the bucks and go 930.

Now I'd like to hand it back to Mr Murky, a resident Crew Y88 advocate, to see his take on my take just to see if I've been good in my estimation/guessing.

My take is around 70% of the 930s race at least occasionally vs. only around 60% of the 88s.

Most of course are racing out of Westhaven, around 14, with 4 in Wellywood, 3 further south, a couple in Tauranga an the odd lost soul elsewhere.

Of course the 930 is a much faster boat but has much slower crews, or was it the other way round, I forget now. Never mind, I'm sure Murky or Splash Palace or someone will help out. I guess it doesn't really matter since everyone knows 1020s are the way to go.

Guest Dry Reach
My take is around 70% of the 930s race at least occasionally vs. only around 60% of the 88s.

Most of course are racing out of Westhaven, around 14, with 4 in Wellywood, 3 further south, a couple in Tauranga an the odd lost soul elsewhere.

Of course the 930 is a much faster boat but has much slower crews, or was it the other way round, I forget now. Never mind, I'm sure Murky or Splash Palace or someone will help out. I guess it doesn't really matter since everyone knows 1020s are the way to go.

at least they are not "overly mod'd" but they are more cruiser than racer!

what happened to the ...... well almost all keel boat classes!

are keel boats just transition boats for people who are confused as to what they want to do in sailing?

So,

A 930 (mod) can mean some or all of the following?

- New deeper keel & heavier keel bulb

- MH gear

- Prod.

- Carbon rigs

Why not just have a Nats, invite all, use Racetrack to Hcap std and Mods and go for it, that would provide a good look to how the mod boats shaped up against the standard. Do a big Simrad typ course saturday, a 10-15 NM inner harbour sunday AM and 3-5 W/L PM.

Also maybe invite a Y88 too, for something different. An 88 winning the 930 natioanls would generate some publicity for both classes!

Guest Dry Reach
So,

A 930 (mod) can mean some or all of the following?

- New deeper keel & heavier keel bulb

- MH gear

- Prod.

- Carbon rigs

Why not just have a Nats, invite all, use Racetrack to Hcap std and Mods and go for it, that would provide a good look to how the mod boats shaped up against the standard. Do a big Simrad typ course saturday, a 10-15 NM inner harbour sunday AM and 3-5 W/L PM.

Also maybe invite a Y88 too, for something different. An 88 winning the 930 natioanls would generate some publicity for both classes!

Why not have the class rule inforced and save money on all the extra kit. or flag the rules and make as you say?

No point have a clas with two types of boats.

I hear that with a straight forward 110% headsail and the right No. of crew an 88 wont touch a 930 on the wind which is the reverse of not so long ago.

Self tackers good for short handed but sweet f a else huh KM?

Simple beginners receipe for upgrading a 930 on the cheap:

Take one standard 930 (the lighter the better)

Add spreaders and masthead halyard

Mix in a 110% overlapper

Add a dash of mast head spinnaker

For those on an extended budget:

Sail the bejesus out of it until you know you can't sail any faster

Then, and only then, add in a bulb keel.

OK, this one could be good. I'm ready! Got the beers and chips by the couch! Of course almost any 88 that's done a nats has had a hole bored in it by another 88, and 88's are faster upwind in the light. There that ought to do it! :mrgreen:

You do get more boat for the buck with a 930 but there isn't any strong class racing like the 88's.

Hold the phone there!

I would say an SR26 has to be right up there for the bang for buck. Leathal in the right conditions (with the right sails and crew) roomy and great for cruising with a perfect cockpit layout, good class racing (although not all the same modifications) and very socal, + you can buy them for between 15 and 30k!! 30k getting you a minta with all the gear. in fact right now I believe there are SRs for sale at either end of the spectrum.

I must say I really have alot of respect for these little boats, they never stop amazing me!

Copy of PC282278.JPG

CC09-3.JPG

You're right there BooBoo, as an ex-SR owner I have alot of time for them. They are great value and loads of fun! I had one for 5 years and would quite happily have one again if I ever had to downsize. There are a significant variation in the mods but it appears that despite these variations the best sailed ones are the ones that win. I guess BooBoo, that no one else stands a chance til you sell yours!

Good Call BooBoo

One of the best moments in Last years coastal was ripping past Lightfoot in Trainsmash under masthead genny. Lightfoot was planing and we passed them like they were standing still!

Go the Wreckage! She may be rough but she goes!

Fudge, I wonder what happened next? Was there a God or did they stay upright? That was one of the things I loved about the SR's. you had to keep your wits about you when pushing hard. One split second of inattention and bang! Fangs in your arse! :twisted:

Sold mine close to a year ago, not by my choice thou, my boat partner wanted to sell.

and yes wineglass they do go upwind just fine, especially in under 10kts!

So we were all waiting for me to post 1st, I suspected as much :lol:

OK lets see where we are at.

Booboo has a very good point. The SR's are sailing very sharply and at the price are well worth a suss. The only downside, if it is applicable, is space. The extra meter length the 930's have does increase the space quite dramatically. Whether that space is important is up to the individual. Having had a beer with Mr Boo, Mrs Boo and Master Boo the 1st (Jnr No. 2 was still in the practice stage at the time), aboard the Jagged, I'd happily say they had all they needed for their cruise in the way of space and goodies carrying storage. More would be nice obviously but I've been heard to say the same comment about my 930 and also a 40fter I delivered last year.

I would agree with MarkM (as much as I try knot too) that most 930 crews are well slower than their boats. I know for a fact that is true on mine and one of the main reasons I haven't turboed, as alluded to by Wineglass. Interesting to see the 930's get out more than the 88's. From what I see on the water that probably isn't far off but when the 88's do have a big event on they do arrive on mass. And we all know he's well off the track with 1020's but just humour him and agree ;)

DR, the Class wanted to go Turbo for some reason and then for some other reason some started and some didn't so it all went quite wobbly. I don't really know the details as I wasn't there at the time. It appears the original plan is sort of finally coming together though which is nice to see. If the turbo fleet does get it's excrement together and out there we will follow to to grow that fleet. I think the original thrust was just to 'update' what is now quite an old design that has a lot of well built so very usable boats.

Wineglass, correct I have been told a fully fired and crewed up std 930 will take a similar fired up 88. But as I don't really know I'll leave that to those who may. Your plan about buy cheap and 'work up' towards going Turbo is a goodie and pretty much our plan. Get a std going as quick as she can, add masthead and do the same then turbo. A masthead halyard will be fitted shortly...... and declared ;)

And agree again a 930 is a good shorthanded boat, the self-tackers are a great bonus in that situation as are smaller kites sometimes. AA will know what I'm talking about here, I think we both had a few small surprises this season in relation to that. We've had a pretty good year when talking only one or 2 up, a few mears but a few bloody goodies as well.

I was going to say I think our win/lose ratio with the 88's we've played with while shorthanded this year is good but I know the Data Lord is watching so it makes me a tad nervous to say that with utmost certainty. DL, what have you on that one? Just quietly PM me if it's in fact horrible and I'll think of some way to deflect it ;) Simrads don't count as while a few 88's think they are racing us (to both our detriments), we know which Div we are in so don't race them.

AA - I was going to mention something bumper boats like but didn't think that was fair as that is more the dicks on the sticks than the vessels themselves. I'm 100% sure the same could and probably would happen in any class when you have the intensity that is cranked up at a 88 Nats for example. In fact the last 930 Nats was decided due to a boat on boat bang, I understand. Dicks on sticks isn't one Class specific.

And put away the pop corn or save it for the me and boatslut thread ;) As much as I am known to pontificate the joys and goodness 930's have and 88's just don't ;) I am trying hard to be objective for L T, as much as it does pain me to do so :lol: At the end of the day I only have a 930 because it was that specific boat I have history with, it could just as easily have been a 88. I brought a boat, knot a 930, it just so happened 'that boat' is a 930 design.

Chernobyl - That Nats idea of yours is what I'd also like to see and it has been discussed. We did similar in 08, I think it was, and it didn't go too bad. The turbos did struggle in the short W/L's a lot more than many would have guessed so a mix of long and short would give all a good crack.

I'm knot sure how a 88 could win a 930 Nats but I have suggested a possible fun day where the, say top 3 930's and 88's from their respective Nats have a play. It would have to be owner drivers as that's the way the 930's roll. We are squeaky arsed 930ers so don't buy crews or if we do the pay rate is a soggy filled roll and all the rum they can find aboard :) We could even bring the 1020's in if they don't mind the possible embarrassment :twisted: Could be a fun day though. Hey, maybe a 4 way with the SR's. Can you imagine the pre and post match smack talk, it would be legendary :lol: :lol:

AHgggg... that freaking Stieny kite's back to haunt me again. Spend a day chasing that and you end up with the skin complexion of a Vampire, it's like sailing during an eclipse :lol:

Archived