emergency ruuder

Hi Team

What are you all doing when it comes to emergency rudders. Pelagian has a cut out stern this makes it hard to attach a drop in system on the stern, I have the spinaker pole with bunk board but i would not think it is really up to the Job if i nedded it

Most boats are getting small drogues. These can be put over the back off a quarter.

The kite pole and floor board option is ok for a fully crewed race but I don't recommend it for short handed or long distances.

We did it for 200 miles with a crew of 4 and it was no good in a seaway. We had it lashed to the leeward pushpit railing and used it like a surf boat sweep - ie lift out of the water, realign and drop in again. Then repeat, then repeat......

Look at our Para Tech Delta Drogues at Safety at Sea. Your size is the D48

Before the RNI Rob and I did a bit of sailing with a drogue, as we suspected the kite pole thing would not be that good as a spare rudder. We were amazed how well the boat preformed, we were able to sail up wind and tack, in 25 knots. We lost about 2 knots of speed, but a larger drogue off a cat.

Archived