Welcome to the annual Crew.org.nz Rum Race!
brought to you by Crew.org.nz.
Date for the 2020 event is Wednesday 23rd December. Entry fee is $20. Entries are not accepted until the fee is PAID.
This years theme is :"Irish" Prizes for the best costumes and boat dressing. To enter, email the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boat Name
- Type of Boat
- Sail Number
- Email Address
- Phone Number
FIRSTLY THIS IS NOT A FORMAL RACE!! It's called a race because it historically has been, that's all. It is run under the COLREGS, NOT RRS, and there is no Officiating Yacht Club.
The start will be Mark Foy (staggered based upon handicap) with the first boats away at 5.45pm, with a mass finish planned. Handicaps are provided courtesy of racetrack.org.nz.
After the race prizegiving and social intermingling will be at the at the Richmond Yacht Club. We aim to have everyone finished by 7.30pm and the prizegiving starts at 9pm sharp (if you are not there someone else will get your prize). Immediately after the prizegiving live music starts.
The idea is to get non-sailors out on the water - remember this is a one off "race" not part of any series, so it's the perfect opportunity to do so. There will be spot prizes, and prizes for best stuff ups (if there are any of note), and best dressed Ship and Crew so get out there and get sailing.
If you have any questions, or want to join in the pre-"race" talk visit our forum:
Entry fee can be paid to crew.org.nz's coffers by depositing in the following account (with sail number or boat name if no sail number):
Account name: Neptune's Gear Ltd
Account number: 38 9014 0623760 01
If deposit to bank account is not possible, get in contact with Matt to arrange alternate means of payment.
- Entries to Crew.org.nz online by 10am 21 Dec.
- Final starting times will be posted on Crew.org.nz by midday the next day
- Colregs will apply
- Start line is from the tower on the breakwater to the yellow mark (ODM to the cognoscenti), finish line is a transit through these two i.e. you can finish outside the line.
➡ 5min warning at 5.40 pm.
➡ 4min another noise
➡ 1min. Another noise.
➡ 5.45 first start – noise time is displayed at tower.
➡ 5.46 numbers change, more noise
➡ Get the idea, till all boats have started.
- Course will be posted on Crew.org.nz on 18th as well.
- Race pennant will be an item of clothing in the rig. Use your imagination.
- Dressing up and acting silly is encouraged, there will be a prize for best dressed
- Protests – all protests must be typewritten and double spaced, handed to Matt within 20 mins of the last boat finishing and be accompanied by a bottle of Mount Gay and whatever spare cash is in your wallet (min $500). We don't want protests!
- This is a rum race, so sails allowed are limited to Mains, Mizzens, sails designed to be attached to the forestay, mizzen staysails, gollywobblers.
- The race should end around 7.30, please come straight to the party. Richmond Yacht Club, food and drink available at YC prices.
- Do not leave a mess; I don’t want to have a giant clean up job the next morning.
- Prize giving at 9pm. (Richmond Yacht Club). If you are not present your prize will go to someone else.
Live music and dancing after the prizegiving<>'><>