Welcome to the world famous crew.org.nz Rum Race!
The date for 2021 is Monday 20th December
This race is a permanent fixture on Aucklands yachting calendar, by participating you will be part of an illustrious tradtion and be able to tell your children you were there in 2021!
This years theme is will be published a bit closer to the date but rest assured you will have plenty of time to prepare! Prizes are given out for the best dressed crew and boat, among others but you need to be there, no matter how big or small your vessel is!
How to enter
Simply email the following details to email@example.com
- Boat Name
- Type of Boat
- Sail Number
- Email Address
- Phone Number
The entry fee is $25 per boat
We will reply with instructions on how to pay, entries will be accepted and your boats name will be published on crew.org.nz once we recieve the the fee into our account.
FIRSTLY THIS IS NOT A FORMAL RACE!!
It's run under the COLREGS, NOT RRS, and there is no officiating Yacht Club. There is no "mark room" no luffing" or any other of the usual argy bargy!The start will be Mark Foy (staggered based upon handicap) with the first boats away at 5.45pm, with a mass finish planned. Handicaps are provided courtesy of the excellent racetrack.org.nz.
We will publish the course on crew.org.nz rum race page which will be the live notice board, we will also email you your start time and course as early as practical.
- Keep your VHF on channel 17 for race control.
- Colregs will apply
- Start line is from the tower on the breakwater to the yellow mark (ODM to the cognoscenti), finish line is a transit through these two i.e. you can finish outside the line.
- 5 min warning at 5.40 pm.
- 4 min another noise
- 1 min. Another noise.
- 5.45 first start – noise time is displayed at tower.
- 5.46 numbers change, more noise
- Get the idea, till all boats have started.
- Course will be posted on Crew.org.nz on 18th as well.
- Race pennant will be an item of clothing in the rig. Use your imagination.
- Dressing up and acting silly is encouraged, there will be a prize for best dressed
- Protests will not be accepted
- This is a rum race, so sails allowed are limited to Mains, Mizzens, sails designed to be attached to the forestay, mizzen staysails, gollywobblers.
Prizegiving and Party
After the race prizegiving and social intermingling will be at the at the Richmond Yacht Club. We aim to have everyone finished by 7.30pm and the prizegiving away by 9.00 p.m sharp, and the very genreous prizes will be given out on a first up best dressed basis if youre not there! Once the live music starts after the formalities, no one knows when the party ends.
The idea is to get non-sailors out on the water - remember this is a one off sailing event not a race, so it's the perfect opportunity to do so. There will be spot prizes and most importantly prizes for best stuff ups, so get out there and get sailing!
We really want to see you out there!