melamine or formica for laminating table

Anyone know where I could contact in Auckland for a couple of 16m sheets - preferrably seconds to keep the cost down!

Alternatively, anyone have a spare 2m x 2m laminating table lying about that they don't need for a few weeks!?!  (actually the main job is 3.7m x 1.7m but I was trying to be realistic by chopping it in two!)

Bugger you didn't post this before yesterday. On Wednesday evening I chopped my laminating table down from 3.3 x 1.4 to a lot smaller. I've finished all my big panels so are regaining a bit of cave space.

The table was made using a 22mm think MDF cover sheet scored for a dozen stubbies from the local Caters. I then gave it a coat of west resin with a god splash of acetone in it so it soaked in more fast. That was old resin I wasn't happy using on the boat but it worked fine. Then I sanded and gave it a full coat, sand again and another full coat then a fine sanded and a few coats of a good release wax from Adhesive Technologies. That's made a lot of a 930 and a Jeveln and some doors on our house and a table for Welly and a few other things while being used, carefully, as a work bench. It was spectacular and it was a bit sad when I said to Mr McCulloch 'go for it dude' .

The key is the release wax, use the good sh*t. I did the table at the start and maybe twice more since then. Laminate straight onto it, with vacuum as well, no problems or sticking what so ever.

I am now 100% positive you don't need Formica or the likes and you can make one out of pretty cheap shitty stuff if you are careful and make sure the surface was flat and level.

Table now 2.1 x 0.9.

I do have a 3mt x 400mm odd and a 1m square there abouts if that's any use to anyone. No cost and if not they will become green house gas.

indeed! 

However "Formica or the likes" vs "22mm think MDF cover sheet . . . then gave it a coat of west resin with a god splash of acetone . . . sanded and gave it a full coat, sand again and another full coat then a fine sanded"  does strike a particular "chord" with me!

A Wheels2000XLS TURBO 4x4.

A Wheels creation made from bits of a printing machine, his boats fuel system, and some other parts he got from gawd knows where. He's damn cunning for a footpath owner :D

It's not huge volume or even big volume but it's a good sucker. It'll easly do what your looking at I think. I've done 3mt x 1.5 panels with ease, a Javelin outside skin, and a lot more. Ya wannna borrow it?

Suss the vacume thread I did mid last year maybe????? Found it, bad spelling again. The pumps a lead player in that plot :)

http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic/11212-vacuum-bagging-no8-kiwi-style/?hl=vacum

Cheers KM - I might just take you up on that. IT the pics from the forum link above seems to have gone AWOL (again?)

Should probably add that forum to the tips n tricks forum as well.

Gonna hone my skills on some flash vent cowls first followed by a folding bbq table (have some old material lying about for that job) followed by the main deck. Going to infuse as well - might as well go the whole hog!

No worries. I have 2 important sucks to go. They should happen in the next week after that it's bits and bobs.. ..and a big carbon 12K tow bedhead, that should look cool, at some stage. But you're not quite ready by the looks so that's handy.

As KM suggested - Most Carters have packing sheets of MDF, particle board, Ply for around $10+GST, might be some edge damage. Bought 10 sheets from the local Carters thickness ranged from 18mm thick to the monster 32mm thick sheet that nearly gave me a holiday...

Yeap, my table came from a packing sheet that was 3mts x 1.4mts. Twas a good score and until then I didn't realise they made MDF in sheets up to 4.2mts long and wider than the std 1.2. One side was a bit huckery but the other was mint. Put a 3x2 border around it and all is good. I used the 3x2 to push it out another 100mm in width. Kept it flush with the top of the MDF, filled the join with epoxy and one suck did have the sucky tape down the side on the 3x2, I needed max width and made it by 10mm odd.

I'm just re waxing the cut down table. The wax is called ChemLease. I just asked Grant Beck (Adhesive Tech boss) what he'd use if it was his boat and I got that. It's good stuff and tuffer than I expected. No need to rewax between each suck. I've done around 10 good sucks, probably a few more, before a quick tickle. I was being careful not to abuse the surface to much between sucks. 

Peel ply ...... Peel ply ....... Peel ply, it is your good mate when doing laminating stuff.

I just used West 105 but I didn't infuse, I old school laminated it and vacuumed to ensure a good bond to the foam or old boat parts. Spent a few hundy on vacuum sucky tape and sucky bits but I have got a far better bond/finish than I would have got otherwise so I can easily live with that little extra expense.

Some of the Jav was infused using West ADR resin. All the Jav is using ADR as it will be post cured under heat. A few sheets of polystyrene, a couple of heaters and a fan, bingo one post cure oven.

The ADR is better to use as it is thinner so works thru the cloth better, also being a heat cook resin it cures a little slower than 105. If you have the ability to post cook whatever your doing I'd use the ADR I think. But as a 930 is a tad large to cook I'm using West 105 on her.

I'm no infusion expert but I'd be thinking using a 'thinner' resin like a ADR would be far easier to use than say the 'thicker' 105 system.

Have a chat to the team at Adhesive Technologies, they are very helpful and know their game very well. They have a big range of resins and assorted hardeners. Also worth having a chat to if you need foam sheets. I found them very reasonable on that as well. All the cloths and carbons I scored from NZ Composites, another very helpful knowledgeable team. Oh and Adhesive also have the sucky tape, bleed cloths and all the stuff for vacuum bagging. I haven't had to go anywhere else and both have been very helpful with the odd 'Opps I forgot tomorrow I need....' requests, which has been very handy.