My very first rant!

Guest 000

I am really a bit peeved with Waikato Regional Council.

A few years ago I bought a pile mooring in Whangamata, $200 fees per annum and an inspection every three years. All very reasonable. The first problem is that the council wishes to change some aspects of the resource consent. I would have thought it reasonable to reconsent the mooring area if they have to but no, every pole has to be consented. $450 each pole owner please. Second problem,in order to facilitate the mooring inspections the council would like to conduct the next inspection six months before the three year inspection date. Same as they did last time, so I pay for three years but only get two and a half. Third problem, each boat owner owns one pole but is moored between two. The pole behind me has been surrendered and so reverts to council ownership. I have to pay for inspection and maintenance of my pole but the council informs me that they are under no such obligation.

They are very accomplished at putting their fingers into my wallet and giving nothing in return.

Whangamata harbour is very sheltered so I am seriously considering putting the boat to anchor. Admittedly a very large patent anchor of approximately 200kg that I've known would come in handy one day.

When the harbourmaster bails me up for having an unregistered mooring I could truthfully say 'No, the boat's at anchor!'

And two fingers to Waikato Regional Council.

symptomatic of local body beauracracy.  Make a submission wrt to the resource application on the piles.  Advise them that clearly the ownership structure is flawed and that there is an environmental risk as a consequence of the council's own direct lack of duty of care.  Lay a formal complaint with the local body ombudsman, then finally call your local body rep and tell them of your issue - advise him or her than you won't be voting for him or her at the next election and will advise as many people as you can to not do the same.  What ever you do don't go the beaurocrat - they can be a vindictive bunch of pricks if they choose to be and there's really not a lot you can do about it when that happens.

Kiwis really need to strart voting heavily in local body elections to raise the stakes for councillors so they in turn try to restore the imbalance. 

• Upvote 1