Jade II

Does anyone know anything about this old 24' Spencer believed to be an Adrianne? According to an old YNZ reg (1984) it started out in Napier and moved to Paremata. I bought it from Nelson 18 months ago. According to YNZ it was built in 1962 which seems a bit hard to believe as its ply and in pretty good nick.

It looks like the original owner had two of these. Jade I sail no was/is 467 from the YNZ website and was also a Spencer. This boat's is sail no 567.

Any general information gratefully recieved. Have read less than flattering comments about the Adrianne but this one appears to have been modified a bit as it has a bulb on the keel (apparently 1,100lbs ballast).

Many thanks :D

Jade II started out as sail number E-167 Noelene, registered with the Auckland Yacht & Motor boat Assn in 1963. As you say, she was an Adrienne class designed by John Spencer. She was built by Mr H.A. Manuel of Mangere Bridge, and moored at Hobson Bay.

Mr. F.A. Sandall purchased her around in 1966, and by 1968 he had renamed her Gannett. He probably renamed her straight away but didn't register the name change until 1968.

In 1970 when all regional sail registrations were scrapped in favour of a national register, Gannett was allotted NZYF number 567.

Subsequent owners were A. Flynn 1971; W.R. Lowry 1973 - who was still her registered owner as late as 1980. (All Auckland owners)

By 1982 she is renamed Jade II and owned by N.R. Gabbott of Napier.

There is no relationship between Jade (467) and Jade II (567). The NZYF would have given her the "II" as the original Jade (NZYF 467)was still in existence and the NZYF, often arbitrarily, appended names with numerals to avoid database duplications as they moved their register into the computer age.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks DB really appreciate having that history. For a small boat it has travelled a way south. As I said she is in good condition and hopefully has another 50 years ahead. :D

Another couple of scraps.

She remained registered to N.R. Gabbott of Napier until 1984. From then she is unregistered until in 1988, when she shows up owned by D.E. Hickman of Wellington. She remains registered to Hickman until 2000.

After that I have no more.

Registrations are one thing, actual ownership is something else again. Plenty of boats are sold and on-sold without the NZYF being advised of the change of ownership, so those dates I have given are a guide only.

Still, it's better than nothing.

I lived onboard and sailed her some 2 years around Nelson Bays. She had blue hull and orange decks required some work. As I remember mainsail had 567 on it. Original inboard was removed and shaft hole was sealed. Following owner broke the rudder from skeg and as I heard, they removed the skeg. There were no electrics and engine while I had her. She came with Mariner 8hp, out of order. Finally I managed to find another 8hp Mariner and managed one working out of two before I sold her. I have plenty of photos of her during my boatyard days and afterwards. I could give more information if you'd like.