Australian arrival

Today we arrived in Bundaberg,we left NZL on june 14. All in all a bloody long trip! (we sailed 1666 miles)

The authorities,Customs and Quarantine, were absolutely superb to deal with.

I'm buggered if i can see why anyone would have a gripe with them.

My boat is a 25 yr old wooden yacht ,as it hasnt been to the islands, they considered it a 'low risk',(you are allowed 90 days in the islands before you are considered high risk)so expensive checks for termites and potentially fumigation were avoided.

I have been given 'permission' to remain in aust waters for 2 years as long as i keep them informed of our whereabouts every 3 months.

Should i wish to import the boat into Aust the duty is 5% of the value of the boat upon arrival plus gst.(not the 15% I have read elsewhere).

Now all i gotta do is fix/renew a few things and we can turn left and go have a look at the kimberlies part of oz..

Matt

Good news Matt

Bundy has a pretty good reputation as a port to clear into. Make sure you check out the turtles and head out to Lady Musgrave while you're there. The Bundy is ither a love it or hate it rum. Owned a place on the beackfront at Moore Park until a year ago - worth heading there to check out the beach - great morning walk. You'll need a car though.

Don't miss out on Fraser Island either.

Think the 15% comes from 5% customs duty + 10% GST.

Archived