Evohe/ Stephen Kafka

sorry elp. not me.

But thanks for the link to appreciate their flying tender.

http://www.evohe.com/flying.html

Have just found the ideal support boat. We can even attack jetskis from the air, they would never see us coming if we fly out of the sun, dropping our sulfuric-acid-mixed-with-horseshit bombs and fly off over the horizon.

Could also double as a nice sensible understated opti-parent support boat. Buzzing around decapitating other opti-parents in their support boats.

Apologies for lowering the tone of your thread.

Hope someone else can help.

Umm a flying dinghy - right.....

Yep certainly on my bucket list to have one of them. Maybe Alan Gibbs could stick the wings on one of his beasts and we would have a flying car boat - endless possibilities then!

granted, a flying dinghy is what it is, and is probably not for everyone, for instance it is probably not for sane people.

I quite like the idea myself. I am sort of used to being 'the twat in that weird boat'.

Altho you would definitely be persona non grata in a lovely quiet anchorage, starting up the rotax engine and buzzing around of an evening.

jetski hunting would be the only justification.

Hi elp

I'd say go for it. What's the trip you're thinking of joining?

I joined a voyage down to the Auckland Islands on Evohe back in 2007 for work. Steve came across as a really genuine approachable guy and competent skipper. My sailing experience at the time was fairly minimal so my assessment of seamanship was probably not particularly informed but Steve & crew definitely inspired confidence. The wind wasn't particularly cooperative for us so was mostly motoring or motor-sailing as it was work and we had a schedule to keep. The atmosphere and food on board was great and I would jump at the chance to do it again given the opportunity.

I was on the trip to do some GPS surveying for a couple of days on Auckland Island. Was basically tagging along on a charter by DoC to deliver a bunch of scientists who were staying down there for about 3 months to study the sea lions. Don't know that I'd want to spend 3 months there but the Auckland Islands is definitely a stunning place to visit. Some of the stories of shipwrecks & early attempts to settle down there really hit home when you see how rugged the place is.

We didn't have an excuse to try out the flying dinghy on that trip but sure looks like a blast.

Not sure if I have much else to add, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Hi Nev P

Thanks for replying. I have been emailing Stephen and he comes across as how you describe him which is great! I figure he wouldn't still be getting work if he had a bad reputation but thought I would ask on here just in case.

I have applied to go on a voyage from San Diego California mid January2012 bound for Baja, Cocos Island, Galapagos, Marquesas, Tahiti, Cooks Islands, Samoa,Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu and on to Honiara in the Solomon Islands for the South Pacific Arts Festival inAugust 2012. Evohe will be support vessel for 7 vakas, see http://www.pacificvoyagers.org/.

I would love to visit the sub-Antarctic islands one day, being inspired by Gerry Clarke.

Cheers elp

Hi, I found your post on Google when searching Stephen Kafka also interested to know what he would be like to work with as I have also applied for the position as a volunteer on Evohe as there are 4 positions I'm hoping I will get one but have yet to hear back not sure if they have been filled yet as I only came across the advertisement last week. Have you heard if you have got the job? I think it would be a challenge but a once in a life time adventure! Cheers.

Archived