The RPNYC 2011 Ship Cove Race

As previously announced a teaser/introductory portion of the race account is posted here, with the full account, photos and video available on the Clear Vision Blog site.

So, here you go...

4.30am is a very early time to wake up.

Especially if you are a black cat, snuggled up at the foot of the bed, draped across one foot and perfectly happy where you are. Unfortunately the foot had to move, because there was a yacht race starting at 0600 and the body the foot was attached to had to get down to the boat. Ear flicking and then two anticlockwise circles on the duvet followed before the mini-panther settled back down muttering under his breath.

Meanwhile the foot (and the rest of me) got up and had a shower, made coffee and a bagel, and double checked all the stuff I had packed the night before. Right - off to the marina for the Ship's Cove race then. Well almost. Knowing I had a very expensive day due on Sunday I stopped at a hole-in-the-wall and got a couple of hundred dollars out... then went down to Clear Vision. Loading of gear bags began, closely followed by 8 supermarket bags. As they were being stowed, the Food Distribution Department (Vesna) returned from the car with 6 more supermarket bags, and said:

"Bardy, would you mind just popping up to my car, the last of the food is sitting just behind it, could you bring it down for me please?"

I was expecting there to be just the last couple of bags, and was thinking that Clear Vision Catering had well and truly outdone itself this time. When I got to the car there were in fact NINE more supermarket bags waiting to be carried down to the boat. Crimmany. Much hilarity followed, with comments including: "We're going to Ship's Cove in the Marlborough Sounds Vesna, not Ship's Cove in the Bahamas.". At one point there was concern expressed that we might not have room for the beer as there was so much food... but sanity reigned in the end (no, none of the food was thrown overboard).

Vesna pointed out that it was a light winds race and we could be out there for some time. Prophetic words!

So we left the dock and headed out into Lambton Harbour. Spirits were high...

Continued on the Clear Vision Blog site.

Archived