Dolphin Petrol Inboard engine

Hi All

Anyone have any knowledge on Dolphin Petrol Inboard engine?

I have some issues with the engine. It's direct drive and electric control panel controls forward or backward spin by tricking the timing (I am not sure about the excact term). The control panel only works for backward spin. Engine doesn't seem to start when it's set to forward.

Please share your konwledge if you ever had the same engine and know how to trouble shoot this?

Many thanks!

Hi All

Anyone have any knowledge on Dolphin Petrol Inboard engine?

I have some issues with the engine. It's direct drive and electric control panel controls forward or backward spin by tricking the timing (I am not sure about the excact term). The control panel only works for backward spin. Engine doesn't seem to start when it's set to forward.

Please share your konwledge if you ever had the same engine and know how to trouble shoot this?

Many thanks!

sounds like an older 2 stroke with mag ignition that'll spark in either direction, check that the advance retard mechanism is working (timing is points opening just prior to TDC) measure this by taking out sparkplug and poke something skinny down plughole onto piston, find top dead centre and slowly turn crankshaft the OPPOSITE direction to intended run direction till about 10 or so mm drop in pencil/probe, points should just be opening about nowish (cigarette paper between points works well here...light pull and it should slide out), if all checks out

try the other direction doing the same thing. older 2 strokes can and will run backwards as long as the timing is near enoughish, had an old BSA bantam that could be push started backwards was a right trick trying to ride it backwards though

If this is to do with the timing, how hard would it be to adjust the timing where should I look? I will do some googling for now. Thanks L4 4 pointing me to the right direction.

Thinking again about the issue, I am convinced that the problem has got to something to do with the timing. When I run the engine for starting, it sounds just about to be engaged but then stops hopelessly. But like you said it doesn't seem so fussy when it's running backward.

All good now! I've replaced the spark plugs and it worked like a charm.

At the moment when the motor stopped working, I thought about replacing it for outboard or something. Now I feel sorry to my inboard. All it wanted was just a little tender loving care.

Archived