Farr 11.6 Tuning Data

across

My name is Alex Cross and I am the owner of a Farr 11.6, “Swoosh” in the USA.I am looking for someone in the New Zealand Farr 11.6 group with whom I could correspond to learn more about the refinements of properly setting up and racing a Far 11.6. While I race actively in Long Beach, California, there are only a few actively raced Farr 11.6’s in the USA and none in my local area, so I have no real sources of current tuning data for a Farr 11.6. I have the 1981 Farr tuning manual, but nothing that deals in more detail, or with what changes might be advisable with modern sails, for example. I would imagine that the 11.6 sailors of New Zealand know much that I could learn from, and some might be willing to share some of their knowledge and experience.Thanking any respondent for any help or referral you may be able to provide.

Cheers

Alex Cross

There is plenty of Farr experience around here. I have an 1104 and have done lots of 11.6 miles.

The big questions first are as follows.

Are you a standard 3/4 single spreader rig? If not what have you got?

Are you racing to a rule - IRC, OCC, AMS, ETC? THe letters for West Coast escape me. Then is your racing beercan, w/ls or coastal?

What is your predominant wind strength? Long Beach is light isn't it?

Have you updated your keel or rudder?

As a first step look to the J120s or some of the European IRC designs (King 40, Mills)

Archived