Rule 42 Changes

Mark One

Some centreboard classes have introduced, or are considering introducing, class rules that give the ability for the race commitee to relax rule 42 when winds are greater than a specified speed. These allow pumping, rocking and ooching.

I believe the 420 class uses a 13 knot cutoff and the 470 class uses a 8 knot cutoff.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these changes?

Hard to administer and will result in a sh*t fight or 3.

"But it was only 7kts on our boat out on the left hand side of the track"...... who standing on the beach or another boat a few hundy mts away can prove any different?

Sorry, I should clarify.

The race commitee will fly a flag prestart which will indicate the rule changes. They will also be able to indicate turning the rule on or off as boats round the marks, flag & hooter, similar to changes of course.

Great idea. I am more for anything goes with Rocking pumping and ooching, no matter what the wind-speed. Make it like windsurfing. It would add another dimension to light wind sailing....

This was discussed innweymouth by many.

There was some talk, by the older folk mainly, that unrestricted pumping, ooching, rocking, could drive competitor into more drugs / steriods to boost their strength and stamina.

In other words... keep it gentlemanly so the Fat buggers can have a chance.

Kind of like that concept for some classes and maybe a no rule concept for younger people classes.

After all the Olympics should not just be focused on young people.

:D

Archived