Whining in the Herald over our Olympic sailing

All comes back to funding and population Dan, Sailing in New Zealand has a very small budget and although participation numbers are lower overall than the UK I'd say that as a percentage of our population (4 mil vs 60 mil) we are out in front. I don't think anything is broken in the NZ Olympic sailing program and think they did very well.

Now if we had the 4 million plus that the rowers get who knows?

Sorry guys and hate to spoil the party but Sport NZ ( ex SPARC) funded YNZ Olympic campaign to the tune of $11.5 million for this last 4 year cycle.

It has been 21 years of no sailing medals (not including board sailing) and a total cost of 400+ million of funding, most of which has gone into non sailor wages and admin.

So bang for buck has been very poor compared to other sports... except cycling...

Imagine if that 400 Million had gonna into yacht club / sailor developent.that's where Aussie and the Brits are focussed

All comes back to funding and population Dan, Sailing in New Zealand has a very small budget and although participation numbers are lower overall than the UK I'd say that as a percentage of our population (4 mil vs 60 mil) we are out in front. I don't think anything is broken in the NZ Olympic sailing program and think they did very well.

Now if we had the 4 million plus that the rowers get who knows?

Sorry guys and hate to spoil the party but Sport NZ ( ex SPARC) funded YNZ Olympic campaign to the tune of $11.5 million for this last 4 year cycle.

It has been 21 years of no sailing medals (not including board sailing) and a total cost of 400+ million of funding, most of which has gone into non sailor wages and admin.

So bang for buck has been very poor compared to other sports... except cycling...

Imagine if that 400 Million had gonna into yacht club / sailor developent.that's where Aussie and the Brits are focussed

Sorry that should read 40 million+

Now if they bring cricket into the games I'm definitely not watching, even if played by naked super models :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cricket is disorganised comedy to me. Especially the Black Caps.

Archived