HD Filler is it strong enough.

RedLine

Another tech question for those in the know.

Still in the process of fitting a new keel to the boat amongst other things.

Some q's though:

1) Bottom of boat has convex V shape

2) Top plate is perfectly flat.

3) Will likely have to grind off some of the middle of the v shape to make a flat spot on the hull.

4) Dont want to go overboard with this, so thought Id mix up some Resin/HD Filler, and also chop glass fibre into the mix. Then with a ply flat template same size as proposed steel top plate (with some polythene on it) goop this all in place, prop it and leave to set.

This will give the exact flat 600x175mm flat area for the keel/strut plate to attach to. But my worry is that when bolted up, and with the keel working, it could begin to work and crack up, causing an issue later on.

Alternative is to do heaps of grinding to make a perfectly flat & level spot to take the keel plate. But this will reduce the amount of laminate in the area I need it most.

Any thoughts??

We did tests a long way back and a microballoon epoxy mix had very similar properties to kauri. Which really isn't quite strong enough for what you want.

Your blend although sounding a bit off the farm will probably do it.

I would be tempted to put 1200/1600 grams of glass over it, with a stagger out onto the hull

Archived