The hook

gurge

I know I have been out of racing for a while, yes windward boat must keep clear but I also thought they had to have a chance to get clear. Maybe because we are on the wrong side of this issue it does seem a marginal call. Just drive under then luff real hard bang winner every time.

your right. Windward boat has to have a opportunity to keep clear but I am wondering if the two boats are side by side and within a boat length of gauge if that would be enough warning that luffing could happen? I wonder if the having to give an opportunity for the windward boat to keep clear that is the only thing that saved ETNZ in race two when Oracle had a small overlap on them and luffed hard in the pre start.

can you experts here tell me whether proper course applies in the race 3 reach mark rounding.

http://noticeboard.americascup.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/R3-1-USA-pen-NZL.iPad_.mp4

I read the AC rules and I can interpret that OTUSA still had to sail proper course which surely precludes the luff away from the mark? However I think I know how the umpire called it but just intrigued to know other's interpretation.

Archived