No Forestay

smithy09

Got a phone call from KM yesterday. "You going cruising this Christmas?" "Yes" I replied. "No you're not, you've got no forestay" came back..

WTF?? Turned out KM was working on a boat nearby and he and another guy heard a splash and found the Marshall's forestay in the water. KM quickly lashed up some halyards to keep the stick up and let me know. The rod had cracked, stress facture 2/3 of the way through at the top, then finally failed completely on one of the calmest days in recent Auckland weather history.

After quickly buying a Lotto ticket, I rang Garry Hassel from Halls and he was on the case and had new ends swaged up pronto. Got it back in today. I will do a complete rig check before the next offshore race for sure!!

Thanks KM. Thanks Halls! Rum on the way!!

Looks like a past mistake with the masthead kite and halyard being wrapped around the forestay may have tweaked the top fitting a bit. If so, the current crack was missed or not visible in the last inspection around a year ago. The current set up will do for now. No other cracks in it and both ends re-terminated. Probably go with Garry's advice and go a bigger section rod with all that entails before the next offshore race...

Archived