best method for sealing plywood edges.

Abel Seaman

Hi All

I have a GOP Young 780. I like many of the design features and expect to keep it a few more years but as with any boat you have to stay on top of the maintenance.

I have recently found water penetration into the exposed edges of the ply on the cutouts in the cockpit backrests.

So far not a major issue, but time to put a stich in as it were.

Worse on the top edges funnily enough, but the problem seems to be from rain or dew droplets beading under the edge and then wicking in.

In  making a few modifictions i have cut out a bit of original plywood and it seems to be a better quality than anything i have seen for sale recently so no worries about the structure as such.

Current plan is to cut back the edges by 10- 15 mm all round and shape some solid wood mouldings to cap the edges, but that is a lot of work.

The edges are 8 mm which seems a bit thin to wrap with cloth layers especially when trying to get round the inside corners.

I guess originally the ply edges were well soaked in epoxy and that has lasted a long time but I  would love suggestions as to a more permanent fix please.20140314_154719 (Medium).jpg

Cut some open weave 200 gm/m2 e-glass (or carbon) cloth on the 45˚. This will go around most well rounded ply edges. No harm in putting two layer on, one never seems enough after a few years in the sun

Archived