Winch parts - to buy replacements or try cheapie fix?

I have a cuppla maxwell 22 self tailers on my yacht. The "upper and lower crowns" (that's what they call them in the manual - I've heard them called the "cheeks") are worn after a very long time holding genny lines. So the sheets slip out because the little 'ribs' in the cheeks are worn quite flat. Doesn't matter if there's load or no load on them.

So I found out on this very website (big plug for crew.org) that ARCO in Awestruckandfailure have the parts - emailed them 2 hours ago to find out if they have parts and at what price. AND - they came back to me 20 minutes ago. Whoaaaaa - awesome! Well done ARCO!

Cost is $203 including secure shipping. I have no issue with the cost. Fair enough.

BUT...............

I saw on the web (I have no original ideas any more, I just steal from the web) that a guy took the 'cheeks' off his winch, cleaned them REAL well, put some epoxy on the area where the sheet contacts the cheeks, put a little (drum roll) crushed walnut shell, yes crushed walnut shell because it's unbelievably hard apparently, in the epoxy - then a litlte epoxy over that and Bob's your uncle - FIRM grip again. redo it every 3-4 years.

Sooooo, waddaya rekin? I figure I've got nothing to lose but a little time and a very minor investment in epoxy and walnut shells (yes, walnut shells crushed are available in many places in Akl - who knew?).

May as well give it a go.............?????

Sounds interesting to me.

The key is to get epoxy to stick and also create a profile/shape that gives grip and thus holding power.

Have you thought about re shaping them with polyester bog (paint and mold release) then taking a mould of them and then making new ones?

I presume they are plastic.

Interesting idea Ketchup - making a mould. Not sure I have the knowledge for that one.

And yea, they are plastic. I was thinking of taking 1 cheek off 1 winch, cleaning it up and giving a small section of it a sand, then add a little epoxy to see if it adheres. 

In the end, if it doesn't work I just buy new ones.