Jump to content

Functionally complete....

Recommended Posts

Terrapin's forward tramp failed about 10 days ago.   Nearly catastrophic since I went through to my waist!   While underway, in good wind.   ON AUTOPILOT!


Tragedy narrowly averted!


I built a new one out of vinyl coated poly mesh w shelterite edges.   Borders are 1/2" schedule 40 PVC conduit (UV rated).  I'm no seamstress, so the stitching lines suggest perhaps I was drinking heavily while cussing at my POS sewing machine.   Tie lines are 3mm Dyneema. except along the hull where the fabric bolt rope is bolted to the hulls.   The result seems to be up to the task.


All thread is PTFE.


A big job complicated by the fact that the boat remained in the water.   My canoe got a work out!



Link to post
Share on other sites

good save + repair


multi's won't wait if you fall behind

Ain't that the truth!   I inspected over the winter and found no issues.  In April we stepped the mast and found a small hole afterward which I patched.   Over the next month, I patched two more new holes, praying I could nurse it through the season.


But UV is insidious.   It attacks everyday....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...