Paper Tiger North Island Grand Prix Series

Rowdy

The first regatta of the Paper Tiger North Island Grand Prix Series took place over the weekend with the Horowhenua Cup sailed at Lake Wairarapa.

Here is the first of the roving reports...

A great weekend at Lake Wairarapa organised by the Horowhenua Yacht Club. The wind didn't play ball on the Saturday, mill pond calm every time we went to start a race. So the points were all very even going into the second day.

Sunday was fine again, but the wind could not make its mind up, fluctuating direction and strength (2 knots gusting 12) for the first 3 races. It was posible to tack on a shift without changing directions at times. The 26 boat fleet positions moving up and down (lake sailing!!!).

By the last race, the nor-wester had kicked in and pretty fresh - 18 gusting 30 knots. Only 5 boats of the 27 strong fleet managed to finish the course.

Scott Pederson sailed superbly in all conditions taking a convincing win overall. Glenn Syman, back after a season's rest sailed consistently, but not spectacularly to pick up second, and Mark Hatch, finished 2nd in the final fresh race to take a well deserved third overall.

Great organization by the Horowhenua team at a top location where everyone had a great time, even when the weather didn't - we hope to see you at this regatta next year.

Full results at: http://www.papertiger.org.nz/results.htm

Haha, yeah thankfully my flight from Auckland didn't arrive till late Friday night.

Think I must have missed a good training session as there were a lot of very unhealthy looking people Saturday morning when I arrived 8)

Archived