Live aboard with couple dogs

So what the Owners now do when subdividing is subdivide a piece away from the beach and allow that party access across their land to the beach hence ensuring the crown can't claw back their existing property rights (exactly as suggested they will otherwise do above).

But the reason beaches are private (as in this case) is in order to either provide the inhabitants with unfettered use of the land they own or to allow their paying customers to enjoy same. A bunch of launch owners pulling up swimming in with dog is disrespectful and clearly in breach of the owners property rights. And these Owners provide public amenities at their own cost away from their paying customers - so why don't people respect the compromise offered and stay off?

The previous manager would have driven them back into the water on the end of a quad bike - the current one is getting tired of the conflict. I just can't believe the arrogance of people hence my moan. If it was my place I would have picked up their dog turd on the end of a shovel and deposited it back in their cockpit, but not my place as a customer to do so.

Thing is on the Corramandel coast I can't think of an Island where you are allowed dogs so what are people thinking taking them on boats in that area.

If the launchers stay below MHWS they aren't infringing or breaching on any property owners rights as it's knot their property to begin with but I do know what you mean.

The hassle is there is a very poor understanding about it all and that seems to carry all the way up to the bureaucracy.

Does the beach have a BIG, so can be read from a long way away, saying 'Private Land Please use the Public beach XXX that way'? Probably knot so how is anyone to know what is and what isn't 'private' so to speak. I'd guess they made an assumption that there was free access, as it's commonly known or thought of, just like there is to 99% of most beaches NZ wide.

The hassle as I see it and as I found when getting RC's for waters edge work is most and I include the bureaucracy and property owners, don't have a good understanding of the ins and outs. I commonly had many WTF moments with it all.

And some big changes were made with the change in 2004, I think it was, which many seem knot to have caught up with.

I still think it would be a good thing for the gov't to reinstitute the QC anywhere it doesn't exist, can be done gradually say every time there is a change of ownership.

KM's right, I have always assumed I had the right to go ashore, now I see that it isn't always the case (unless I stay below MHWS), but how am I to know, even a sign doesn't mean much as some grumpy bugger could put one up even if he didn't have the right just coz the missus likes to go skinny dipping.

I would be more inclined to observe a sign with a politer request, than a piss off type sign.

And private ownership of the coast really grates with me.

Yes there is a big sign, yes it is polite, and yes it gives a cell phone number to call....

The locals all know the game - many swim off their boats and stay in the water which of course is their right. But these turkeys brought a dog on land which is obviously not going to stay in the water so my view is they bought it ashore to have its daily crap which it did.

Behaviour like this pisses me off. We should be more respectful and I don't get why you would take a dog on a boat. Private ownership may grate but these punters paid good money to own something - there isn't a god given right to ramble wherever you want in NZ, and to do so with an unrestrained dog is just dickhead behaviour. Anyway rant over KM has the rules about right and hopefully people will consider where they park a bit more carefully. Particularly when there is a good spot provided for them.

Don't disagree with anything you have said Rocket, are you allowed to tell us where for future reference (I don't have a dog, the cat will be left at home and I am happy swimming off the boat). Any other places where this is the case we might want to know about?

And a political postscript, John Key needs his arse kicked for even considering handing the seabed and foreshore out of public control.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Right on brother, but keep watching this space.. They are going to bang it through, and when they do, I reckon it will cost them the next election. My vote will certainly swing on what they do with Foreshore and seabed....

I like dogs or at least well behaved ones but like EE, Rocket and a few I do struggle with them on boats especially down the Gulf way. They aren't allowed on any DOC island, which are numerous and does include a huge section of Kawau. Also when you think about it if they go ashore at high tide they would be on private property, QC excluded as Kawau would have little I'd expect, and I'm sure most would knot like the deposits left behind. There is just bugger all places left you can take a dog ashore for a good run anymore.

Over Xmas we spend a few days in Bon Accord and the kids wanted a beach to play and swim on. As the place is now so infested with 'private' (of sorts as most aren't quite as private as most think, which is yet another story) jetties and structures there's next to zero beach left. There is one small and quite nice one 2ish along from Schoolhouse but at high tide it doesn't really exist. So when the tide dropped that became a dog run and pooh spot so rather mine field like for the kids to use sadly.

That grates a bit on me as many owners have covered public land in structures which are used 10-20 days a year but to the detriment of general public use. While we were there easy 1/2 were closed up knot being used. Mind you many are old school and been there a long time so wouldn't be allowed to happen as much these days, which personally I see as a good thing.

As Rocket correctly points out common courtesy would say that if you are on or suspect your on private property go ask if it's OK. 99% of the time the answer will probably be Yes.... as long as you respect the place and don't cover it in dog shite.

Archived