fancy a foiling speed machine for the summer...

cam

I notice one of these is for sale in Auckland (Windrider Rave).....

I can recommend them as a fast, strong and practical sailing machine for 2.

I actually read an account of one that was sailed offshore (NOT recommending it) down the coast of florida and across the gulf of Mexico to Belize. He had made larger tramps and a tent thing from memory and dropped sails and slept on the tramps at night. I think the boat was called 'ravin lunatic' or something like that

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Yachts-sail-boats/Small-sailboats/auction-338067902.htm

here's that offshore story for those interested... I got the name wrong, 'Ravin Lunatic' must have been another boat of this type....

45 day voyage overall, 7 days at sea offshore on the longest leg. Quite a hardcore trip.

http://www.pan.com/folksinger/Further.htm

Alot of his links are broken on the page above ....

the summary write up of the trip itself is in the link "LOG 9-99" below

http://www.pan.com/folksinger/Log9-99.htm

Hmmmm. Very diferent sort of chap. A little crazy for sure, but good on him. Great story and website, and a "Dulcimer" is an ancient flat stringed instrument with lots of strings. It helps to know this when you read the story!

yes he is pretty far out on the bell curve isn't he (as he admits).

Not quite the target market they probably had in mind for these boats, but quite a journey he did.

You would need quite big kahunas to take one of these offshore I'd say. Especially if you appreciate the problems that can arise and the forces involved.

Altho one sailor on his own can usually right them if it all goes pear shaped (ie you over-sail them) and they pitchpole (they end up nose down), they won't turn right over as long as the mast is sealed which is easy to do and they are unsinkable (in theory - the amas are sealed and have inflatable bags inside as well - well mine does). They are also very strongly made. There are defintely worse boats to choose.

Yeah, he's all peace, love and mung beans, but it's hard to knock the guy, as that was some voyage. Good on him. Like you say, big balls..

Great to have people like him in this world. Has the balls to show what's possible and can't really give a sh*t what people think. Hurting no-one and entertaining many by the sounds of it!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

yeah agreed, I admire the bloke. Boaties in general are a pretty independent bunch I reckon (sometimes I think it is about the only thing we tend to have in common, as otherwise boaties are a fairly diverse bunch and dont agree on much), but his journey really is a path of his own making, which is actually quite a rare thing.

And he obviously has a very fine taste in sailboats ;)

Archived