Volcano in Tongan Island group gone Bang. Big Time!

I can only assume you all have seen this story. I did not hear about it till early hrs of this morning.

So late afternoon, around 5.30PM our time, an underwater Volcano in the Tongan Island group has gone up with a bang. Serious, not being over dramatic here. Tsunamis have been washing ashore over the Islands and officials are very concerned for Peoples safety. I viewed a Satellite image in the early hrs of this morning of the explosion. The Shock wave around it moved out for thousands or square kilometres. Then the most amazing image. I though at first it was just due to the picture being broadcast back to Earth. But then I realised it was an atmospheric distortion as the Atmosphere was being lifted and displaced out away from the Explosion area as the Ash cloud was rising and spreading out. This caused a lensing effect and the view of the Sea and Islands below on the edge of the cloud, distorted dramatically and moved and...well it was all really weired and jaw dropping when you consider the scale of what was taking place.

I have not seen a great deal other than the situation on the ground in the news, but a safety bulletin given to authorities in the night has warned that the Ash cloud may even reach NZ.
I am not joking folks. This thing is huge. I am not sure how old the Satillite image is, nor do I fully understand just what islands are part of the Tongan group, but the ash cloud spread out to cover the entire surrounding Tongan Island group. That entire group of all Islands is under a cloud of Ash. It is unbelievable.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2022/jan/15/tonga-underwater-volcanic-eruption-creates-tsunami-waves-video

• Like 1