Whitianga Marina = Assholes

Deep Purple

Over at the beach getting Sundreamer ready for xmas and went to the marina hoping to use their visitors/workberth.

No they didn't have any marinas available (there is a vacant cat-berth there because the boat that was on it is now moored beside Sundreamer and theres nothing on it)

No I don't put cats on the workberth, they are too wide (a mate of mine has an identical dimensioned cat and used it 8 years ago)

The local commercial guys told me the marina staff are the most unhelpful pack of assholes in the country but hell, I only wanted it for a couple of hours. It's dead quiet over here. So if you're cruising in the area over summer be aware. Strange, because the rest of the town treats you like a long lost brother.

Good news is I got her all shipshape for summer.

Here's a pic. At the bottom is the (now) vacant cat berth with the old 45' cat on it. At the top is the workberth. The cat to the right is where my mooring is.

wm.jpg

The guy in charge is a bit tight-assed, but once he accepts what you want, then he is just fine. He let me moor up at the visitors berth before getting me on the slip - date and time was uncertain, and was extremely helpful with showers, etc. It seems as if all the berths are privately owned and I think he has a problem with the owners...after all he does work for them.

Contacting him can also be a hassle, but eventually the lady in the office did answer and gave me his mobile number. Thereafter it was easy.

The guy who did my antifoul also did a very good job. All in all, once I'd made my arrangements, they couldn't have been more helpful. :thumbup:

I think it depends on what sort of mood he is in. We found them difficult to deal with but in the end had no problems booking the visitors berth for a couple of nights Christmas 2007.

I think the berth they put us on was the official visitors berth, on the end of the first finger inside the entrance. One night we where there with Crisis so that's a Cat and a Tri.

You didn't front up in the Ferrari did you?

Archived