laser nationals

cam

Oh yes Torbay. I might have had a quiet regatta on my own around the corner.

Not that I can make it this year myself actually, no doubt the few people I managed to beat in the last year or two are breathing a huge sigh of relief :)

They are expecting record breaking fleet sizes I see from the website (as they would being in Auckland)

Fingers crossed the weather co-operates for what should be an awesome event.

As a fully paid up member of the laser 'snail' racing team, I can vouch that even the back of the fleet offers excellent racing.

Agree on the quality of the racing - if you happen to be on the pace you look back and wonder how the guys at the back get so far away - then you have a bad start one day or make a bad call and find yourself DFL - and holy smoke it is freaking hard to pass anyone - and the leaders just keep sailing away.

Hope the weather holds - not much fun launching there in a big swell - can remember launching NZ Moths through the surf ast Torbay in the olden days - 4 guys per boat - skipper on and carry them out through the surf at shoulder height then chuck them off and hope they beat the next set. OK in a fleet of 30 but with a fleet of 100+ lasers it won't happen.

Agree on the quality of the racing - if you happen to be on the pace you look back and wonder how the guys at the back get so far away - then you have a bad start one day or make a bad call and find yourself DFL - and holy smoke it is freaking hard to pass anyone - and the leaders just keep sailing away.

Hope the weather holds - not much fun launching there in a big swell - can remember launching NZ Moths through the surf ast Torbay in the olden days - 4 guys per boat - skipper on and carry them out through the surf at shoulder height then chuck them off and hope they beat the next set. OK in a fleet of 30 but with a fleet of 100+ lasers it won't happen.

Actually, of everywhere I've raced in Auckland, Torbay is the most sheltered for launching - the swell has to come in from just the wrong angle before you get waves on the beach. You are sheltered from the South by the Reef and from the North by the Tor. Even if there are waves on the beach you can usually avoid them by taking your boat around to the North side. I have had much more difficulties at Murrays and Wakatere, where the beaches are a lot more exposed in an Easterly.

I will be out there doing it - Looks like a pretty fine masters fleet - top 10 would be my goal. I am sure Murray will be expecting top 1.

184 entries!!!

Yes that is a good size fleet. Altho that is just 38 more than in Timaru last year I think.

I wondered if it might have been even more actually.

Good luck to all. Hiope the conditions offer good racing.

Yes that would be an interesting boat launching event to be part of. Hope they have a team of the usual wonderful volunteers to help, remove/fetch trollies etc...

Must have been a heavy day out there today, judging by your forecast up there, and the results showing some carnage.

I see Tamaki YC sailor, Bob Blakey GGM (ie "Great Grand Master", 65+) is currently doing blimin well at 6th in the masters fleet.

Sheez hope I am still fit enough to be going hard on lasers in heavy days like this at 65+. Hopefully might learn a crafty trick or two by then as well (ie. tacking, gybing, starting, mark rounding) :)

Very tough regatta. We got to the beach yesterday at 8:30pm after 3 very tough races. Solid 25-30 when we started around 3:30pm. As tough a day as I have had on a yacht.

High quality fleets with ex and current world age group champions sprinkled throughout. In the masters last years champion got 10th!

185 boats on one course is enough. Many tks to all the volunteers - who were always the last down there, pulling chase boats out till after dark.

Nice one R. Sheez that sounds pretty intense, bloody hard core actually. 3.30pm is a pretty late start, were you waiting on the water for much of the time, or kept ashore? The latter I hope.

Yes the masters fleets seem to be full of very experienced, very competitive, very fit sailors. Not quite the 'social' grade class racing the uninitiated might expect (altho at my level it usually is!)

agreed about those volunteers, they are often not even into sailing, but turn up to help and are very generous with their time. Huge thanks to them all.

Archived