Liferaft advice please!

Hi All,

Thanks for all your amazing answers to my “How can I stop my boat from sinking?” post. I have a follow up questions now about safety equipment since I am going to buy a liferaft this month.

On my previous transatlantic crossings I used various types of liferafts, but due to the higher latitude environment I am looking for a liferaft that is more robust can take heavy weather, protect from exposure and comes with or can be packaged with survival suits.

I look forward to your suggestions!!!!

Please check out our remote voyage we would like your feed back at

www.belzebub2.com

Thanks

Hi Exiles

If you look to your left there is an ad for safety at sea, they sell liferafts, lots of them. The man you want to speak to is Jono Gravitt, he also regularly posts here as Jono so I expect to see him answer very soon.

On my previous transatlantic crossings I used various types of liferafts,

:shock: :shock: Maybe if you had to use them you should concentrate more on stopping the boat sinking :wink: :wink:

I think I answered some of this over on Sailing Anarchy.

In terms of packing survival suits, buy the ones you like, and then get them put in. It may cost you a bigger case, as there is generally no spare room.

I wouldn't pack Survival suits. Well....unless you have lots of money to wast them like that. You may never ever use the thing and thats a lot of money to leave unused inside a sealed container. I would have them onboard and use them when you need. Then if you really really really have to step into a Life Raft, you should be able to put them on first and that can give you protection to the raft. That "step up" to the raft can be a dangerous one and many have been lost at sea taking that step.

Archived