Rover 6.8 Trailer Sailer

Hi, has anyone had any experience with a Rover 6.8 Trailer sailer.

Possibly having a look at one soon, and cant find much out about them. 

Who designed them (hull form is from another trailer sailer I believe??) and built them.

How do they sail??, not interested in racing, just cruising.

Looking for info specifically on the Rover

Thanks heaps

Paul

4 hours ago, Dilemma said:

Rover 6.8 Trailer sailer

Google rover 6.8 and it will come up on a older version of crew.org

https://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/8633-first-trailer-yacht

Actually it must have been a 6.8 I sailed on as I can't find a reference to a bigger one. Don't take me to serious because it was many years ago when I used to take people out for demos on trailer yachts for the local boat broker. What I remember was it was a pain in the ass to get on and off the trailer with the stub keel, and was quite tippy while sailing (prehaps due to the hull shape and the ballast being in the stub rather than the plate)

• Like 1
On 5/09/2023 at 1:03 PM, Jonesy said:

Hi Paul

Just came across your enquiry. I owned a Rover 6.8 (22’ 6’’) for thirty odd years, but hadn’t sailed it for the last 20 years (lacking enthusiasm!). The hull was designed by Cooke Brothers Christchurch and the sail plan by Frank Simpson in 1979. My Rover was cast in 1979, by Fi-Glass Products, Dyers Road, so if not the first off the mould, then close to it. The split mould, up to a few years ago, was still lying in Fi-Glass yard. The sail area at 21.9 square metres is not large compared to some other equal length sailers, but the design has incorporated a lot of freeboard, so when in a better than 15 knot ‘puff’ the boat heels over excessively. However, unlike the Noelex 22 for example, the positive aspect of the excess freeboard is it’s roominess within the saloon and headroom. The ballasted keel is of the order of 270 kg, and with a swing centre board, enhances the roominess. I entered the inaugural Aviemore Classic in 1989 with one other Rover 6.8, and of around 113 entries we finished around 78th or thereabouts, so it’s no speed machine. The boat generally handles very easily and is a pleasure to steer. As mentioned in an earlier note, someone had difficulty recovering the boat onto the trailer. This was never a problem really, just park the trailer a little deeper and capture the boat by hauling in on the winch. Finally, boat had a 6.0 HP Chrysler outboard which was ample to push her along at 6 knots.

All the best.

Geof