Wanting to Crew on boats heading NE this winter

I am an American male who will soon graduate with a Bachelors Degree in Sport and Recreation majoring in Outdoor Recreation and Adventure Education. I hold a current Day Skippers Certification, First Aid Certification and have over 10 years of casual sailing experience. I am looking to assist anyone in a one way trip to the America's this upcoming winter (June-September 2011). I have experience as a mechanic, electrician, cook and various other trades. I also have kayak building and construction experience. Whether its up North through the islands, or a more direct trip out East to SA, full trip, or just a leg to get me half way, I'm interested. I am mostly experienced in around 30 footers, but can adjust quite easily to anything. I have plenty of free time to train a bit more this summer and have mates that I'll be doing some overnighters with who have sailed the pacific before.

Please contact @

Thanks,

Mat

post-11077-14188717388.jpg

Did you make contact with any of the cruising boats that gather at Gulf Harbour each year? There are usually a couple of dozen decent world cruisers on the E side of the marina and I've scored a sail on two boats over the years.

I didn't... and to be honest wouldn't even know how to locate them - would you suggest just walking around the Richmond Yacht Club area in the Viaduct and asking for 'world cruising yachts'?

Well first off yes, if you are the confident sort then walking around the viaduct and trying to engage some of the crew/skippers could certainly work. You might at least get directed towards the boats looking for crew as many are at this time of year.

Gulf Harbour is an hour north of Auckland at the E end of the Whagaparaoa Peninsula. IT has a great marina (I keep my boat there) and the Eastern Docks is where they berth all the liveraboard cruisers who are in the marina for a few months before heading off around Arpril/May time. If you can get yourself up there for a walkabout at some point I would recommend it but in the short term try emailing the GH Marina office and asking if they would stick up a flyer for you (if you send it as an attachment).

I'll also ask the Gulf Harbour yacht club if anyone knows of a boat looking for crew and ask them to make contact with you directly.

I'm sure that you'll get a ride one way or another.

Cheers

You're a legend! Also, I'm pretty sure I've already mailed a flyer up their way - do you have a contact e-mail handy?

Just got back from the 500km kayak and all went well! 4m swells, constant headwinds and sharks were the only issues.

Mat

Archived