Ross 830 - Outboard replacement thoughts....

5 hours ago, raz88 said:

Personally I'd be hesitant to nearly double the weight hanging out the back on that bracket. I'm pretty sure I remember it being an 8 that was on there prior, so the 9.8 was already an increase. IIRC this was done about 10-12 years ago, so motor isn't a spring chicken but also isn't as old as many...

Few things to consider:

A) what can the bracket handle? not just a concern in terms of raw weight sitting on the bracket at rest in the marina, but as the boat bounces up and down in chop, inertia will mean theres more than 40kg of force being put on the bracket and its mounts.

b) lifting on and off. Although not a huge deal if not doing it often.

C) in general adding weight to the ends of a boat is bad for performance. It increases pitching. Plus when it's out on a bracket/lever an extra chunk out the back, the effect is magnified. 830s are light boats and quite weight sensitive - you'd want to be sure it's not going to make the boat behave badly when you try to sail upwind in a chop.

Yes the same concerns I have.

I'd love to go the lighter weight of the 2 stroke, but the low running noise, lack of smell and fuel economy (in terms of range, not cost) are very appealing.

Ratings for Rise & Fall brackets (for both 2 and 4 stroke motors) – standard shaft, up to 25hp (18kw), long shaft up to 20hp.

Maximum motor weight of 58kg.

So 10 Hp and 39 kg's would seem to be well within, decisions/decisions!

• Like 1