a can of worms.....

i recently got offered the use of a mooring for my 7m trailer sailor, just around the corner in Mount Maunganui. Rather than having to launch it from the trailer every time it seemed like a great idea. After having it in the water for a couple of months i noticed it had grown a sizeable beard of green weed and a few small barnacles. My plan was to give it a waterblast, rough it with sandpaper and paint on a 4ltr of antifoul..... when i began blasting the paint started flaking off much to my dismay. I have kept on water blasting for about 10 hours off and on and most of the paint is gone except for a few patches and most of the underside. Leaving the boat is now a grey primer colour. I figure that the previous owner used a cheap paint with no primer. Ive since started on it with a belt sander and it is now various states of old primers and down to fiberglass in places. Im now unsure what to do next. Should I keep sanding so that the whole hull is down to fiberglass or just remove the rest of the paint? then can i fill the dings and imperfections with some sort of filler? what are my options for recoating it? has anyone got any suitable antifouls / paint / or primer they want to sell cheap?

I'd be tempted to take it all back to the gelcoat/fibreglass and start afresh from there. At least that way you'll know exactly what you have then.

What to use though I'll leave to someone with more clues than I.

Altex's Head Office is down in Tauranga if my memory serves me correctly. Give them a call and see if one of the reps will pop down, take a look and recommend what to do.

Of course they'll recommend/want to sell you their stuff, but their stuff is good and they'll probably do you a good deal.

Nothing like having an expert eye take a look first hand and then give you a solution.

Archived