Pelin Caribou ballasted or un-ballasted?

Okay, so Ive just sold my Variant fin keeler and bought a 20ft Pelin Caribou Trailer Sailer, I havent had a chance to take her out for a sail yet(it needs a small bit of tidying up around the sliding hatch but nothing major). My question is , I have noticed it does not seem to have much in the way of ballast, are they self righting? and can anyone tell me if there is a formula that I can work out the correct amount of ballast to add?

Cheers

Yeah the Caribou with its steel plate and no ballast won't like going past 90 degrees and I doubt any about of ballast will help much. The hull is wide and flat. Get rid of the masthead rig if it hasn't been done already, a lot of people converted to 3/4 using their existing gear.

I built the first and probably only Caribou 15 in the 70's, great little boat that I cruised around Auckland, Kawau and the Bay of Islands.

littlefeet.jpg

Thanks for the info, it has a masthead rig, so I will look into changing that to a fractional rig, what is the benefit of fractional rig in regards to the righting moment or SRI? Does it just make the sails easier to handle. I will have to take her out for a sail and see how much of a problem I am likely to have before kitting it out. It has been a while since Ive sailed anything that likes to lay flat, I think the last was a Finn!

I dont suppose Ill be able to stand on the centre board to stand her back up either.

Does anyone have more information on the Self Righting Index, and what the values mean?

Cheers

Archived